X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download Feisty DVD-iso?

Hi guys,

not quite sure whether this is the right forum for my question, so please be soft on me
    I tried to download the DVD-iso for Kubuntu Feisty from the official Ubuntu server at
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...4-dvd-i386.iso.
    Though I tried several times, the download always cancels after retrieving 4.01 or 4.03 of 4.3 GB.
    There is enough disk space and I don't see why that would happen. Could anybody help me?
    In case the file is corrupt, how do I alert the admin of the kubuntu server?

Thanks a lot,
    H.

Re: Download Feisty DVD-iso?

why not download it via bittorrent? http://torrent.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...86.iso.torrent
    i personally had many problems with direct downloads of that size; never with torrents

Comment

When I try downloading the torrent with Shareaza (no bandwith limits, no other downloads), it's painfully slow - varying between 0 and 40k, compared to 100k steady when downloading directly even then it took 9 hours...)
      Is there really no other way?

Comment

i tried it just now with ktorrent and shot strait to 260k (max for my connection) with plenty of seeds, so it's either Shareaza or something with your connection;
        perhaps changing the bittorent client or using another download manager (for the direct download) may solve the problem

Comment

I just now tried with KTorrent (Kubuntu 6.06) and the results are even worse. It hardly reaches a 20k average. Max for my connection (DSL 1000) should be around 120k, at least that is what Firefox' DownThemAll obtained (of course that same thing always cancelled at around 4.0 GB / 4.3, no matter what mirror...)
          Now I'm really worried. The only prog that seems to use my broadband properly is DownThemAll, yet it cancels shortly before completion. All others take days to download the ISO. Why is that? I'm connected through a router, but the Firewall is off. Where's my mistake?

Comment

May be wide of the mark - but what is the maximum file size of the file system you are trying to download to ...?

Comment

Thanks, mate.
              You weren't far off the mark at all, indeed you hit the spot straight.
              I'm running Win2k on FAT32 partitions. Now things make sense. I never thought of that. Thanks a lot!
              My laptop that runs Linux doesn't have a DVD burner, so I figure it's easiest after all to order the whole lot. Thanks nonetheless for your assistance!

Comment

Originally posted by HanjoH
                you hit the spot straight
                Oouch

it's easiest after all to order
                Why not download the CD image (~ 700 MB) and "apt-get" what may be missing?

Comment

Yeah, thought about that too.
                  But for one, I don't know which packages are included with the DVD (couldn't find a list), besides I'm a newbie and don't yet know which packages are the must-haves, so I figured the guys creating these distros should know best
                  Which ones would you recommend to apt-get, starting from a basic system?

Comment

Which ones would you recommend to apt-get, starting from a basic system?
                    Besides Synaptic? The ones you are going to miss (may sound silly - but to me installing "as need be" has proven a good way to move into a new computer environment: step by step, so to speak).

Comment

Working...
                    X