Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot remove all of Kmail from computer. Persistant warning will not go away.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot remove all of Kmail from computer. Persistant warning will not go away.

Kmail refuses the configuration for both my pop and smtp servers. The only addresses that my servers will respond to for my account is immediately changed by the kmail program before any attempt to send or receive is committed. Because of this I have removed Kmail from my computer, nonetheless, a program that has been removed continues to try to receive and send mail to non-existent addresses. The failure notices won't stop, and I cannot identify them to remove them. Please help. This constant failure to receive or send is driving me nuts. Here are my email address and server addresses.
    stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net
    pop.att.yahoo.com
    smtp.att.yahoo.com

When Kmail makes it's unauthorized changes to settings, it retains my proper email address, however it changes the pop server to pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.net; it also changes the smtp server to smtp.att.yahoo.net Notice: pop.att to pop sbcglobal for incoming and .com to .net for outgoing.

Re: Cannot remove all of Kmail from computer. Persistant warning will not go away.

nobody seems to have picked this up, uh?

now, i don't have a clue as to what might be going on on your box with kmail.
    kmail is a reliable email client for me (actually, it's the best email client out there, if you ask me).
    it's been managing my accounts for years without any troubles whatsoever.

now, as you can see, the host names you posted are aliased..."a few times over".
    Code:
    $ host pop.att.yahoo.com
    pop.att.yahoo.com is an alias for pop-sbc.mail.yahoo.com.
    pop-sbc.mail.yahoo.com is an alias for pop-sbc.mail.yahoo4.akadns.net.
    pop-sbc.mail.yahoo4.akadns.net has address 216.252.120.29
    Code:
    $ host smtp.att.yahoo.com
    smtp.att.yahoo.com is an alias for smtp-sbc.mail.yahoo.com.
    smtp-sbc.mail.yahoo.com is an alias for smtp.sbc.mail.yahoo4.akadns.net.
    smtp.sbc.mail.yahoo4.akadns.net has address 68.142.198.11
    and they tend to change their ip address too:
    Code:
    $ host pop.att.yahoo.com
    pop.att.yahoo.com is an alias for pop-sbc.mail.yahoo.com.
    pop-sbc.mail.yahoo.com is an alias for pop-sbc.mail.yahoo4.akadns.net.
    pop-sbc.mail.yahoo4.akadns.net has address 68.142.198.12
    try use pop-sbc.mail.yahoo4.akadns.net and smtp.sbc.mail.yahoo4.akadns.net.
    see if that changes anything...

if you're still determined to remove kmail and its settings, and haven't succeeded yet,
    we can't try and see to it...

cheers
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Cannot remove all of Kmail from computer. Persistant warning will not go aw

As strange as this may sound, I would first of all reinstall KMail (sudo apt-get install --reinstall kmail, then try to reconfigure it - and remove it as well as purge (!) it's config files in case of persistent trouble (sudo apt-get remove --purge kmail) ...

Comment

Re: Cannot remove all of Kmail from computer. Persistant warning will not go aw

I used to use yahoo in the past and had kmail setup so it could read / send from that account.

I remember having to set the ports for pop and smtp and using ssl. For my account these were the settings:
        pop server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
        use SSL, port 995

SMTP server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
        use SSL, port 465

Use authentication
        email address
        account user name
        User password

If you login to your yahoo mail account and choose options on the right side of the screen you will see something like pop access (mine is in german) click on that and you can get more info on how to set up any mail app.

To do this of course you will have to reinstall kmail or kontact whichever.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
        Fintan
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
        X