This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple glitches in Efty Edge to Feisty Fawn upgrade

I took the plunge last night and upgraded. It took about an hour to download and install. At the very end, when the updater was clearing unused files it bombed out. Fortunately Firefox and Open Office still worked after the upgrade.

My computer has Grub installed so I can dual boot into either Window$ XP or Kubuntu. Tonight when I turned on my computer, the option for Windows had disappeared. I also found that I couldn't access any partitions except the one Kubuntu was installed in, so I couldn't get to my backups for /boot/grub/boot.lst or /etc/fstab.

Using QTParted I discovered that partitions were now referred to as sda1, etc. instead of hda1, etc. I was able to use the terminal and sudo nano to edit /etc/fstab and change h to s in partition names. After rebooting I could read the other partitions, and copy the Windows boot instructions from the backup into /boot/grub/boot.lst. As far as I can tell, things are back to normal now, but it had me scared for a while.

Re: A couple glitches in Efty Edge to Feisty Fawn upgrade

Eeek... upgrades scare me too. I feel safer doing a clean install each time. Glad everything worked out for you in the end. 8)

Comment

Working...
    X