This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edgy to Feisty upgrade failure...(update-manager) dpkg hung

OK, I was on Kubuntu Edgy, and followed the official guide here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

The Distribution Upgrade started fine, everything was going ok...

Then *wham*... abort. This is from the main.log..
    2007-06-26 10:16:37,077 ERROR got an error from dpkg for pkg: '/var/cache/apt/archives/samba_3.0.24-2ubuntu1.2_i386.deb': 'subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 134

but according to the error I got, it is a problem with update-manager:
    (attached screenshot)

According to the above linked guide, update-manager should be at 0.45.2, but mine is 0.59.20. I didn't have it installed before starting the upgrade, so I just did an apt-get install of it. I only used the Adept Manager, and didn't add any feisty repositories. I was following the guide, and it didn't say to do that.

OK, so bottom line is that something is borked with my upgrade. The Distribution Upgrade window is just sitting there and is obviously not running. It is on the "Fetching and installing the upgrades" portion, and is sitting at 55%. The dpkg command is still running (according to ps -ef) but it clearly isn't doing anything.

So.. what now? What are my options? Is there a way to recover it?
    Attached Files

Re: Edgy to Feisty upgrade failure...(update-manager) dpkg hung

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I realized that I didn't mention that my system is still up.. I don't want to try to reboot it (yet). I'm considering killing the Distribution Upgrade window, killing the defunct dpkg process, and seeing if I can do it over.. but I'll probably run into the same issue.

I'd like for it to pick up where it left off, but who knows what it will do. I don't know enough about the guts of apt to know what will happen if I try the apt method of upgrade. In researching the upgrade process, I saw that it wasn't the recommended way of doing things.

I just don't want this to turn out to be like the LAST two upgrades I have tried that caused me great pain (one required a fresh install).

Comment

Re: Edgy to Feisty upgrade failure... (update-manager) dpkg hung

I'll just carry on this conversation myself...

Found several bugs listed on the Ubuntu site, seems to be a problem with update-manager... didn't really see any kind of resolution or suggested workarounds though. Seems like this has been a problem with Kubuntu upgrades for a couple of months. Here is one of the main ones I found:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/108555

So I suppose I have to dive in...
      I killed dpkg and python. Tried to do 'aptitude dist-upgrade' (as someone suggested in one of the bugs)... it said that dpkg had been killed, and I needed to do 'dpkg --configure -a' to fix it.

Did that, and it resumed installing packages. Crossing fingers, not sure what I am going to do when it is done... I may try to run the Upgrade again, just to be sure.

Comment

OK, I think I finally got it all working... after dpkg finished installing, I ran Adept updater again, more things were installed.... finally got the machine up, then I got to mess with the nvidia drivers. It's always a struggle. Part of the problem is that there are all kinds of tips and guides out there, and finding a good starting point is tough. I had to end up removing packages that some suggested installing that weren't needed. Oh, and it is best to start with a CLEAN xorg.conf file.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`

backup your xorg.conf file, run nvidia-xconfig

Once you are up and running with your nvidia driver, then start tweaking.. just run nvidia-settings from a command shell. I have a Twinview setup, and this is FINALLY an easy way to set this up.

Comment

Good job advising yourself!

If you didn't know it, you might be able to save your default Nvidia driver settings (resolution & refresh rates) by doing the following in a console:

Code:
          sudo nvidia-settings
          Then set the resolution and refresh rates the way you want them to default, then click the "Save to X Configuration File" in the lower right of that panel, and then click "save" when the window pops up. Since you are running in Super User mode, it will overwrite just that part of xorg.conf.

Good luck with it!

Comment

Working...
          X