Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia causing problems with UBUNTU and KUBUNTU!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia causing problems with UBUNTU and KUBUNTU!!

hi, this is my 1st post, so apologies if i don't make sense as i'm a total newbie to LINUX.

Okay here i go....

I'm trying to setup LINUXMCE on my pc. I've so far installed UBUNTU twice as I seem to be having problems with the nvidia driver. I even tried switching to the standard open source driver, but this too doesn't make a difference and UBUNTU ends up crashing just before the desktop appears.

I then read that i need to use KUBUNTU and LINUXMCE 1.1 as this has had some bugs fixed. Currently i've just installed KUBUNTU, but i'm still having serious problemS with the nvidia drivers. If I don't install them, the linuxmce won't run, but if i do install them, kubuntu crashes! I don't want to go back to windows vista, so what can i do

My system specs are:-

INTEL E6300
    ASUS P5B MOBO
    POV NVIDIA 8800GTS (320mb)
    1GB RAM
    2 X 250GB HDD
    NEC OPTIARC DVD-RW

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I'M A TOTAL NOVICE TO LINUX, SO I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL IF YOU CAN GIVE ME HELP STEP-BY-STEP!!! - Thank You!

Re: Nvidia causing problems with UBUNTU and KUBUNTU!!

I think that 8800GTS is too new for the Linux drivers, including the proprietary -9755 Nvidia driver that is in nvidia-glx-new. I think it has to have the new -100.x.x driver.

Try Envy -- it will install the new driver, if it can. I just used it over the weekend on my Kubuntu installation, and it worked pretty great, after I got the extra packages that it needed. See here

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084483.0

Get Envy here -- read & follow the instructions -- it's pretty straightforward:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

You want to download this file: envy_0.9.5-0ubuntu4_all.deb

HTH

Comment

Working...
    X