X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dualboot

Hello Kubuntu friends,

I'm new here. I just arrived at Kubuntuforums.net, it took 89 ms.
    Just kidding, I've got a question:

Question number one:
    I have a Windows Dual boot. (Two time's Windows XP)
    I don't care when one of them get lost, but will the other (Drive E:/) Windows be able to boot when Kubuntu is installed?
    I mean, can I still choice between Kubuntu and Windows XP?

This is my system:
    C:/ - Contains crap
    D:/ - Old Windows (broken)
    E:/ - Current Windows (not yet broken)

That was question one, now number 2:
    Will I be able to connect to the internet with my Wireless adapter from Linksys? (G, 54 Mb/sec)

Question 3
    Will I be able to install drivers for my XFX graphic card?

If the awnser to those 4 questions is "Yes", then I'll install Kubuntu. And perhaps delete windows if I'm satisfied with Kubuntu.

Best regards,
    Caspar

Sorry for my English, I'm just 15 years old and my primary language is Dutch..

Re: Dualboot

The first thing I would do is to try the live cd to test you hardware. After this report your issues and relevent info and I'm sure all will be well.
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

One - Yes
      Two - Try the live CD to find out

Comment

Originally posted by AdamApocalyptic
        One - Yes
        Two - Try the live CD to find out
        1- I'll install it, can the partition be NTFS?
        2- Id worked, it saw the router downstairs but was unable to connect. It told me something about Suso. I'll make a screenshot and post it with Windows.

Comment

Probably the XFX graphics card will present 90% of whatever difficulty you have getting Kubuntu working correctly. It would be wise to (a) try the live CD and see how you like the graphics, and (b) search this forum and the Ubuntu forum on that card, and see how many problems you can turn up, and how they were solved. In general, the "bleeding edge" hardware gets ahead of the Linux driver programmers, at times, and you can get hardware that is "too new" to run correctly in the moment.

If you migrate to Linux, that "C:/" and "D:/" drive nomenclature from DOS-world will fall behind. In your computer are hard drives, and partitions, and they get assigned identification numbers during installation of Linux (according to how the hardware is sequenced in your BIOS and whether it is PATA or SATA or SCSI). That's about all you really need to know, regarding hard drives. Your linux filesystems are really managed at the partition level, not by hard drive. Some forethought about how you want to build your Linux system is, of course, helpful. For example, whereas in DOS/Windows it is merely a good idea to segregate the data partition from the partition running the OS, in Linux it's a bit masochistic NOT to do that. Likewise, if there's a drive that you're thinking of replacing in the not-too-distant future, you could probably save yourself some grief by not including it in the Linux filesystem, as rebuilding filesystems is not really for beginners. Or, alternatively, if you're kind of hesitant about Linux and all the scary stuff you've heard about it, take that old drive that might die any moment anyway, and make that your Linux drive, to practice on. That's what I did, to make sure I could figure out how to install it and configure my $%#^# old ATI card to work correctly. I just cabled in a spare IDE drive, disconnected the one that booted Windows, and spent the whole weekend playing with Kubuntu on that drive, not caring how many times it crashed and burned. Once I had a handle on it, I installed it on my whizzy new SATA drives, and let the old IDE drive be an archive-holder.

Two cents' worth for you ....

Comment

Working...
          X