This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with kmenuedit

Just recently I am unable to edit my menu. I right click like usual and when moving or adding something I get the error message similiar to this:
    could not write to /home/eric/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu

Things I have tried:
    -I checked that directory and it is empty
    -did research online found its actually store in /etc/xdg and there is just supposed to be a link there
    -When i install something with add/remove programs menu functions fine
    -Created another user and the menu works fine.
    -added another kde menu to my taskbar that does not work either.

Thank you to anyone who can offer some help. I finally got everything working perfectly and other then this I am happy with kubuntu

Re: Problems with kmenuedit

I checked that directory and it is empty
    -did research online found its actually store in /etc/xdg and there is just supposed to be a link there
    That directory shouldn't be empty. The file home/eric/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu is where kmenuedit saves your personal menu entries. Files under /etc are system configuration files, and you can't write to them as a user.

I don't know what's caused your system to lose that file, but you might fix the problem by copying it from the other user which you created and setting the ownership to yourself:

Code:
    sudo cp /home/otheruser/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu /home/eric/.config/menus/
    sudo chown eric:eric /home/eric/.config/menus/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu
    Eric (Yes, I'm an Eric too )
    Eric

Comment

Ok eric you rock! I did that and it worked. However the very weird thing that you may not believe is I tryed that before. The other username's folder was empty last time I tried this. That got me very confused of course. This time I actually logged out instead of switching sessions not sure if that is what did it or if I got lucky who knows. But for anyone else having this problem here is directions

-Create a new username
      -logout then switch to that user
      -goto /home/yourname/.config/menus/
      -copy this file to another directory that your other username has access to
      -logout and switch back then copy that file to the same directory here
      -open konsole sudo chown -v yourname /home/yourname/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu

it now works

Comment

That's great

Eric
        Eric

Comment

Working...
        X