This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up Dual Boot - XP & Kubuntu - Hard Disk partition problem

I have Windows XP installed on a single primary drive. I've tried to resize this to allow space for Kubuntu while installing Kubuntu. However, it failed and the last attempt removed the Windows boot record. I've recovered the hard disk and am back at square one - a single primary partition of 60Gb running Windows XP.

I've run the install program from the LiveCD and am happy up to the partition page of the setup. Kubuntu install can see my single partition of 60Gb but when I try to partition the disk, it always fails and writee ext3 to the main drive and I cannot boot windows after that.

Pls. help me to install Kubuntu on my laptop.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
    _S

Re: Setting up Dual Boot - XP & Kubuntu - Hard Disk partition problem

To do the partitioning or partition editing, a lot of us here use GParted Live CD (free download) at:

GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php.

(and, yes, a lot of us have also had problems trying to use the partitioner included with the Kubuntu installer, as you have). GParted makes life so much easier; it’s actually fun to use.

As for installing your Kubuntu and your Windows, and all those issues it sounds like you are facing, this How-To should do the trick for you:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

(it will even show you how to fix GRUB, if by chance you should need to, and other things, too).

Hope this helps put you on the road. Let us know how it goes. Many of us here can help you with this if you get stuck or have questions.

Mike

(in the future, you might also want to download a copy of Super Grub Disk, a great GRUB fixer and rescue tool that runs by Live CD and other ways too (like UFD) – see the How-To references for where to get SGD)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
    X