This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"clean" kde install

During my upgrade to Feisty, I had a problem with nothing showing up on Kmenu except a few items, so I did an apt-get remove of kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-default-settings kde kdm.
    After rebooting, I tried to delete anything related to KDE as well (eg, rm -r /etc/kde3). OK, so then I boot to a command prompt. I then try the "reinstall" with
    apt-get install kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-default-settings kde kdm
    Now it boots to the "user selection" window, accepts a password, but then gives me a bash shell in the upper right hand corner of the screen with nothing else (the mouse works).
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the default KDE setup backworking looking like the default Kubuntu Feisty?

Regards,
    Kurt

On a side note: One thing that minorly upsets me about the whole thing is that apt-get refuses to update kdmrc and backgroundrc claiming they've already been modified -- well I deleted everything in them, so I have no idea why it doesn't try to recreate them.

Re: "clean" kde install

Apart from a clean install, I have no idea even if I ran into that same problem when I first started using Breezy. What I would suggest is to log into recovery mode and at the prompt, type "startx" without the quotes. If you get a GUI it means that you may have to create a new account, copy your documents and stuff out, give your self sudo rights and delete the old account.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Is there an "apt-get reinstall everything cleanly overwriting everything that needs overwriting" option that I can execute? I only need to protect my apache2, web_dav, and samba configuration. I suppose I can do that easily enough by copying my /var/www, /etc/apache2, /etc/samba folders.

Regards,
      Kurt

Comment

As far as I know, the only clean install is to re-install. Your home partition should be fine as long as you had it on a separate partition, if not, back up before you re-install.
        Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Working...
        X