Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Can I Reboot Directly into Alt OS Using Nextboot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Can I Reboot Directly into Alt OS Using Nextboot?

Greetings,

There is a way to boot directly into an alternative operating system (like Windows) from the KDE logout menu. KDE built in this ability by incorporating Nextboot. Quoted from the NextBoot web page (http://www.marktaff.com/software/GRUB_NextBoot/)
    "Since KDE 3.4, KDE now includes Grub Nextboot's functionality natively. As such, I have now stopped maintaining it. Be advised I have recently (December 2005) learned that Grub Nextboot fails with grub >= 0.96."

So if KDE includes Nextboot functionality then why can't I use it from Kubuntu? What do I need to do to "enable" Nextboot and make my life easier? I had this functionality when I used SuSE and miss it very much.

Any and all help with this is most appreciated!

Peace,
    Gail

Re: How Can I Reboot Directly into Alt OS Using Nextboot?

I know this feature form SUSE, too -- and do miss it very much as well.

Once I came along this option in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdm.rc:
    Code:
    # The boot manager KDM should use for offering boot options in the
    # shutdown dialog.
    # "None" - no boot manager
    # "Grub" - Grub boot manager
    # "Lilo" - Lilo boot manager (Linux on i386 & x86-64 only)
    # Default is None
    BootManager=Grub
    This seemed like the right place to enable this feature... but it didn't work for me. Maybe you have more luck with that.

Anybody else got some hints on how to enable this feature?

cheers,
    Christian

Comment

I haven't used this yet (since I have no need, I only have Kubuntu on my computer) but I found a link with the program, everyone who has commented seems to have pretty good luck.

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=12140

Since I haven't tried it, I can't promise anything, just trying to point ya in the right direction.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
      Ash

Comment

Greetings Ash,

NextBoot (the program that your link leads to) is deprecated in the Feisty Fawn version of Kubuntu, specifically since KDE 3.4. Installing and trying to use NextBoot breaks Grub, I found that out the hard way and had to reinstall Kubuntu to even get my system to boot.

From the NextBoot web site:
        "Since KDE 3.4, KDE now includes Grub Nextboot's functionality natively. As such, I have now stopped maintaining it. Be advised I have recently (December 2005) learned that Grub Nextboot fails with grub >= 0.96."

Please see my original post.

NextBoot was incorporated into KDE so my question is why has Kubuntu removed it and how can I get it back?

I wish there was an answer to this, I haven't had the time lately to go searching. My inclination is to abandon Kubuntu, install Ubuntu instead and then install KDE.

Seems a shame but with no one able to answer my question, and a myriad of other annoyances cropping up, that will likely be my next route.

Good luck to you,
        Gail

Comment

Working...
        X