This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Weird Issue

After being harrassed by my 9 and 7 yr old, I finally got rid of the last Windows machine in the house. I pulled out a 10GB I had packed in the workshop somewhere and installed WinXP just for the odd occasion where Windows would be needed. I cleaned the 30GB hard drive, wiped all partitions off, loaded the live cd and fired away.

Installation went perfectly well, and booted up. After fiddling around to get the wireless working (I ran Edgy fine on that machine before with the same USB Wireless Card) I had to reboot to get it to work. Weird issue hit up, keyboard works fine until the log-in prompt comes up. Mark you, it's a PS/2 Keyboard. Ok, maybe it's faulty so I hooked up the keyboard that came with the said computer, a USB....same thing. Logged in using failsafe, and it works pretty fine. So, I created another account just to test. That went well so I deleted, the first account, gave sudo priviledges and edited my sources list. Told adept notifier to fetch updated lists and it did. Then, Mr. Keyboard decided to freeze again.

Arrgh , thought maybe the install went amok, having nothing to lose, I had to delete the partitions completely as the live installer won't see the disk as 30GB unless I wipe all partitions. If I don't, it sees it as the amount I designated for swap. Ok, no big deal. Did that and re-installed. I went as far as changing the names of the account. Because my local is set to Dominica where I live, I must change the sources.list in adept to look at the main or us repositories. Voila, here goes the keyboard issue again.

The weird part, it doesn't do such under root and via the live CD as well. I also notice you have root access with the live CD maybe that's why it isn't doing it. I'm on the verge of a 3rd install, or I might have to download Ubuntu and try it out on that comp instead. What I can't wrap my head around is that I used this machine before as my main computer before purchasing this new one and it ran Hoary, Dapper and Edgy just fine without those hiccups. It's an:

AMD 751MHZ Thunderbird Processor
    512 MB RAM
    128MB GForce3 MX 440 Video Card
    On board Sound
    10GB IDE Seagate
    30GB IDE Seagate
    DLink 122rev B Wireless Dongle
    Ethernet Card (but need wireless where the children's room is)
    Samsung 12x DVD ROM
    LG 16x DVD Burner

Any help would be appreciated.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Re: Super Weird Issue

Originally posted by Princey
    I ran Edgy fine on that machine before
    Than why don't you stick to what has proven useful (From my point of view, "Feisty" is as much cutting as bleeding edge, so to speak ...) Alternatively, of course, you could install "Edgy" and "Feisty" in parallel - and skip the former once the latter worked.

Comment

That's certainly what I thought about doing. Just decided to post to see if there's a solution. If nothing else works, I certainly will install Edgy providing I didn't give out the disc already.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Well, tried the 3rd time and still the same problem. Well, what gives? Edgy is still recent, just last October. Installed and it's working fine. I wonder why does Feisty hate that particular computer.

Comment

Working...
        X