• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot update Edgy to Feisty due to update-manager bug

I used the recommended command

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

to update from the alternate CD. It gives me a popup with

Could not calculate the upgrade

A [sic] unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.

Please report htis bug against the 'update-manager' package
    and include te files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport

I reported this as a bug at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/116134

and was not the only person to see such a problem. But I still haven't seen any reply or fix. What does one do in such a case? Kind-of frustrating.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Cannot update Edgy to Feisty due to update-manager bug

I must admit that I have never done it this way and I am probably guessing but:
    I used the recommended command
    gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

is a gnome orientated command.
    Are you upgrading from the kubuntu or ubuntu CD and what do you want to upgrade to Kubuntu or ubuntu?

If you have a seperate /home or /data partition I would suggest doing a fresh install. Or searching this forum for that issue. There are pages full (7 at last count) of advice on exactly that issue.

Next can you give us specs of your hardware and partition table so we can get an idea of what might be done in the event that you do not find a productive response from your search?

I hope that helps
    F
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan, thanks for your reply. I am using Kubuntu and have the Feisty alternate CD for Kubuntu. I didn't know the base system depended on whether one used Gnome or KDE. I could always try it using Gnome, which I have installed also.

I definitely do not want to do a fresh install. I sweated blood getting my printer and other things to working and do not want to go thru that again. Plus, I don't think one should have to.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with 2 disks. The Windows disk is a SATA disk, the Kubuntu one is not. I have 2 Linux partitions on the SATA also. Grub is on the non-SATA. (Grub doesn't seem to like SATA.)

$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/hda1 * 1 61 489951 83 Linux
      /dev/hda2 62 1277 9767520 83 Linux
      /dev/hda3 1278 1399 979965 82 Linux swap / Solaris
      /dev/hda4 1400 4777 27133785 5 Extended
      /dev/hda5 1400 2615 9767488+ 83 Linux
      /dev/hda6 2616 2858 1951866 83 Linux
      /dev/hda7 2859 3101 1951866 83 Linux
      /dev/hda8 3102 4777 13462438+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120000000000 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14589 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sda1 1 7 56196 6 FAT16
      /dev/sda2 * 8 11480 92156872+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
      /dev/sda3 11481 12785 10482412+ 83 Linux
      /dev/sda4 12786 14352 12586927+ 83 Linux

Does this info help? Thank you again for your assistance.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

As I recall, the reason I wanted to upgrade from the CD was simple. My internet connection is very slow (512Kbps) and when I started the procedure, it warned me that the download would take something like 15 hours. It's just not possible, in this period of early-summer storms (in middle France), that I could leave the line up that long. Much less put up with my wife's complaints about the slowness of her emailing.

Is that procedure interruptible? I'm referring to "Upgrading form 6.10 (Edgy Eft)" at

http://kubuntu.org/announcements/7.04-release.php

I will try it again. I'm a bit disappointed that updating Ubuntu is so complicated. Installation was far simpler (except for installing drivers for printer, graphics, etc.)

Comment

First things last::
          This depends on whether I'm using the Edgy KDE 3.5.6 repository. How do I find that out?
          To find out if you are using kde 3.5.6, which by the way you probalby arn't unless you installed it, just open any kde app (like konqueror) and click on help then about kde this will give the kde version you are currently running.

In either case just follow the instructions.

Now to your main problem:
          Is that procedure interruptible?
          As far as I know, no.

In which case you could check your regional weather reports (If they are as reliable there as they are here you have a 50-50 chance )and pick a good night to upgrade overnight.

I will try it again. I'm a bit disappointed that updating Ubuntu is so complicated. Installation was far simpler (except for installing drivers for printer, graphics, etc.)
          I wholeheartedly agree but it is not really a (k)ubuntu issue but rather an internet connection issue. Gutsy should have a repair/upgrade function but I don't know if it will upgrade from edgy and you will still have your connection speed problem.

Why not check the feisty forum for the stuff (printers, etc) you need and see if there are any big issues with them in feisty. Then make a final discision.

I am using Kubuntu and have the Feisty alternate CD for Kubuntu. I didn't know the base system depended on whether one used Gnome or KDE.
          As i said I have never taken that route and as princey noted there are isuues with doing it that way.

You could try substituting gk with kdesu but I would go with adept instructions you pointed out before. If you do go the the fresh install path remember to do the following provided your /home is on a separate partition which I couldn't see on your fdsk.

1) If your not using kde3.5.6 then cut the .kde on your /home/username(s) and paste them into another folder. Do not format /home. Since your new install will install kde3.5.6 using an older version of .kde can be problematic so make sue it is not there at first boot.

2)Format the partition your kubuntu edgy is on and do your install there.

3)After rebooting copy all the relevant configuration files (Kontact, Mozilla, Kaddress, etc) from your old .kde into your new one.

I am sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Cheers and greetings to "le Midi" summer storms and all. I love it there
          Fintan
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
            Is that procedure interruptible?
            Maybe ... if apt-get dist-upgrade were what you're attempting in the end (?), you could separate the download of packages from the acutal installation ... further reading (if applicable at all):

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...pt-get.en.html

Comment

Thanks UR as usaual you are the best I just read through that manual and maybe chapter 3.5 could of help to our friend here.

Partial quite:
              3.5 Upgrading to a new release

This feature of APT allows you to upgrade an entire Debian system at once, either through the Internet or from a new CD (purchased or downloaded as an ISO image).
              Maybe worth a try.
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X