Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Solve the Shutdown/Restart Hanging Problem!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Solve the Shutdown/Restart Hanging Problem!

I've searched the forum and there are a handful of posts re the hanging problem on shutdown/restart. I don't know if this is due to my Dell Inspiron hardware but....
    I have now installed Ubuntu in place of Kubuntu and have installed KDE...and guess what -NO HANGING ON SHUTDOWN/RESTART! No hacks installed,no reconfiguration...
    so it is IMHO a Kubuntu Bug...

Re: Please Solve the Shutdown/Restart Hanging Problem!

It has recently been confirmed on launchpad on this issue. I hope they fix this ASAP cos I have similar problem too.

Comment

I'm experiencing the same problem as well. However, I don't sweat over it much seeing that I found an easy work around. I found that typing
      Code:
      sudo shutdown now -r
      resulted in a clean restart, so, I just created a script for it. If I remove the -r (for reboot) the shut down isn't clean though, so I just turn the comp off when it reboots before grub comes up. I know it's not the ideal, but it prevents me from getting file corruption on a dirty shutdown/reboot sequence.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

This is one of those problems that has been around for a long time and reported but doesn't seem to get fixed. I suppose it is difficult because it only affects some people and only occasionally but it is an annoying basic bug.

I have found that if I logout first and then shutdown from the kdm screen it doesn't happen.

Comment

kubuntu is supposed to be ubuntu with a kde gui. I am now using ubuntu with a kde gui....so I think it is in the way gnome was uninstalled in kubuntu that caused the problem..

Comment

Originally posted by bailout
            I have found that if I logout first and then shutdown from the kdm screen it doesn't happen.
            As I too have had problems with restarts and shutdowns (I am dual booting M$ Vista and Kubuntu 7.04), I gave this a try. Voila!! Clean restart as one would expect to take place.

I wonder if the problem isn't one of timeing during the restart and/or shutdown sequences.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This problem has become extremely persistent and will eventually burn down the hard drive due to the hard reboots. I have tried every suggested method, even upgraded to the latest kernel 2.6.22 but the problem is still there. I sometimes get the same garbaged screen when I restart the X server using the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. I also have noticed that when first logging out of the KDE and using shutdown/restart from the KDM it works flawlessly (at least until now...).

So my idea was to stop using KDM and use GDM instead. So far no problems with the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace but the shutdown/restart buttons are missing from the LogOut Dialog, so I cannot really tell if the problem is solved or not. If someone could find a fix to this I really believe it would work.

Thanks.
              Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit

Comment

I think the problem is with splash. I replaced splash with verbose in /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
                root (hd0,5)
                kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=a92bebe7-405d-4f9a-9ab7-7ce45f5eb5ae ro quiet verbose
                initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
                quiet
                savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
                root (hd0,5)
                kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=a92bebe7-405d-4f9a-9ab7-7ce45f5eb5ae ro quiet verbose
                initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
                quiet
                savedefault
                txWingMan

Comment

I have seen stated elsewhere that usplash is the problem so I deleted the "quiet splash" from the kernel lines (so now when I shutdown I do not see any progress bar but what the system does) but with no results. I do not know about the verbose option though. What exactly does it do?

Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit

Comment

First, I would add quiet back in. quiet verbose

Verbose shows you in text mode on your screen what is going on. It solved my problems with Switch User, Restart, etc.....

txWingMan

Comment

I had the same problem and fixed it by
                      adding
                      acpi=force
                      to the default kernel line in the grub list...

Comment

re the shutdown/restart problem
                        I had it in both Kubuntu 6.10 and 7.04

Fixed it on my system with:

/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc - - in the [X-:*-Core] section (note the *): Remove the # from the line TerminateServer=True.

(Desktop, Intel D915GAVL mobo, embedded GMA video)
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                        X