This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu rollback function

Hi, I just made a mistake in kubuntu,, set screen resolution to 1024, now it doesnt work.. Is there a way I can rollback to default system settings exactly how Kubuntu was prior to installation or do I have to install it again? Theres no help on this issue for kubuntu, searched a lot.. please help, thanx

Re: Kubuntu rollback function

First of all, if you're looking for something like Windows Restore like there is in Windows ME and XP, sorry, you're out of luck. However, for your situation, it's easy to fix. At the log-on screen press CTRL + ALT + 1. That should get you into a terminal. Type in
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and go through the wizard. When you come to the screen section, be sure to select the highest resolution your monitor comes with. When you're done, type
    Code:
    startx
    and that should get you going.

In the future, before you mess around with screen settings, it's wise to back up your xorg.conf file. A simple
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
    would do.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

what suggested by Princey is alright.

before you do that, however, you might also want to remove the following file...
      Code:
      .kde/share/config/displayconfigrc
      navigate into .kde/share/config with your file manager from your home directory.
      then remove displayconfigrc (which is the file system settings spits out for resolutions and stuff).
      then hit ctrl-alt-backspace.
      you should now be back to the situation you had before your changes.

then, follow Princey's procedure.

cheers
      gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Kubuntu Forums > Important Information > Documentation > How To's > HOWTO : Disaster Recovery and xorg.conf (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0)
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X