This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu is incredibly slow to start up

After being incredibly happy with the Kubuntu live cd and installation progress. I was a little shocked to discover that when I booted, selected Ubuntu Generic from Grub the loading bar goes up about 3 pixels and then just stops. It just sits there for ages.

After about 4 minutes of no action I decided to reboot and well, come to you guys for answers.

Is it just naturally extremely painfully slow on the initial boot or is something messed up.

Thanks in advance,
    -LostOverThere

(PS: I've just come away from Mandriva 2007 - don't try it, its buggy, slow, and unstable)

Re: Kubuntu is incredibly slow to start up

Originally posted by LostOverThere
    Is it just naturally extremely painfully slow on the initial boot or is something messed up.
    No.

I sounds like you made a choice concerning your monitor and settings during the installation that isn't fully supported by what it (your monitor) can actually support. Question: Are you actually able to get to your desktop?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, I can get to the desktop. It takes about 5 Minutes to completely startup though.

Comment

Try this.

Add the word 'irqpoll' (without quotes) to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst thus:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=48c5a348-eb39-4171-8531-671a49fdb75b ro quiet splash irqpoll

Comment

At the start of boot (as the loading bar comes up), try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1. That should take you to a screen where you can actually see what's going on and what the holdup is. (If it's not on F1, try F8...)

Comment

Working...
          X