This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh install using lvm --- HELP!

I've seen part of this discussed here, but I haven't seen a good result.

I have 2 disk drives.

hda has
    • NTFS (XP Pro)
    • /boot (ext3)
    • swap
    • /extra (ext3) just to hold stuff

hdb has 1 partition that is the only physical volume in a volume group. I have already setup logical volumes on this physical volume.
    • txroot, txusr, txvar, txhome for Trixbox 2.2
    • fcroot, fcusr, fcvar, fchome for Fedora 7
    • kuroot, kuusr, kuvar, kuhome for Kubuntu Feisty (I hope)

I am already using the alternate CD thanks to something I found in these forums. Choosing manual partitioning I can make the install aware of /boot and /extra and the swap area has already been found. I get to the point of activating the one and only volume group and the command, vgchange -a -y, just hangs.

If I kill that command, I get to a place that lets me create or remove logical volumes, but I can't use an existing one.

Clearly I'm missing something here.

Can someone please help me?

Re: Fresh install using lvm --- HELP!

OK. Here's a clue.

I deleted the ku{root,usr,var,home} logical volumes and decided to create them during the install.

So far each creation is working but very, very slow.
    Over on screen 4 where the log is displayed I see this message:
    Rendezvous with udev timed out for 'VG-kuXXXX <- you can fill the blank in.

So far I've created the 4 logical devices.

OK. now I have declared that as type ext3 and assigned mount points.
    Now I'm formatting partitions.
    Installing now.

Hint. I use the /extra partition to store backup copies of /boot. If I have to manually recover /boot this should be a big help.

The installation appears to going correctly. I may have to hack the grub.conf file, but that's acceptable.

I could wish that the LVM installation code would be willing to accept preexisting logical volumes.

Comment

Re: Fresh install using lvm --- HELP!

I'm up. There was a problem with the grub.conf file. I had to manually add an entry to it. I'm doing the initial update now.

I still think the LVM handling is confusing, at best. Just because it's not for newbies doesn't mean it must be completely obscure.

Comment

Working...
      X