This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intermittently booting - failed to set xfermode

Hey guys, I've been fiddling with Kubuntu Feisty after OpenSuSE 10.2 drove me up the wall. Kubuntu is much better and nicer, but I have new issues now.

The most important one now is that Kubuntu only successfully boots up intermittently. This has happened ever since I installed it. When it doesn't want to boot up, the Kubuntu boot splash comes up, but the progress meter does not move, eventually dropping to a shell. Pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 gives me this output:
    [35.380172] ata6.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x40)
    [70.532760] ata6.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x40)
    [105.688533] ata6.00: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x40)
    Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
    or missing modules, devices cat /proc/modules ls /dev
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/9b3649e4-7700-41ca-8cb9-40d526fe2874 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Busybox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3) etc.
    I said it happens intermittently though because I can press reboot the machine and it could possibly work. It roughly takes 8-9 reboots to get it to boot into Kubuntu I'd say, but it does eventually work, and everything's fine. It even continues to work after I resume from a standby.

The kernel version I'm using is 2.6.20-16-generic. Kubuntu uses grub and is setup to dual-boot into Windows as well.

My motherboard is a MSI P965 Neo. I suspect it's HD related, so here are the HD-related specs:
    • SATAII controller integrated in ICH8/JMicron JMB361
    - Up to 300MB/sec transfer speed.
    - 4 SATAII ports by ICH8.
    - 1 SATAII port by JMicron JMB361.

Rest of the specs here: http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...=1&cat2_no=170

My HD is an SATA HD, plugged into one of the ICH8 SATA sockets.

Can anyone shed some light on what's causing this, and even better, tell me how to fix it? I'm wanting to use Kubuntu more, but right now its like trying to win on a slot machine to get it to boot.

Thanks,

Sam

Re: intermittently booting - failed to set xfermode

You are not alone: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...20/+bug/103677

- At least for the time being, I'd consider a "downgrade" (read: installing "06.10" from scratch)

Comment

Thanks for the response UnicornRider. Looking at the link you posted, is it possible to downgrade feisty to kernel version 2.6.20-13?

Sam

Comment

I had this problem as well but I fixed it.

But you know what worked for me? Just updating my CD/DVD drivers. Also, I stuck the disk in my other CD drive and that worked too.

Comment

Working...
        X