This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure to boot with nVIDIA card

Ok, here’s the problem. Kubuntu won’t boot when I have my nVIDIA card set as the default card in the BIOS. I have the AGP retrofit version of the nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS video card. The boot screen freezes when it’s around a quarter done doing the bootup process. Now, if I reset the BIOS to use the built-in Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip on my mobo, it will boot up just fine. But this gets annoying because it means having to switch wires and stuff just so I can use Feisty.

It’s obviously something wrong with the nVIDIA restricted driver. I tried instlling the official drivers from the nVIDIA site, no luck.

Any way to get past this?

Re: Failure to boot with nVIDIA card

i guess the only driver left is the open source "nv" driver.
    though, i doubt it will work.
    but you never know.
    just replace "nvidia" with "nv" in the driver directive of the xorg.conf file.
    and have a go...
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Failure to boot with nVIDIA card

Originally posted by GammaDX27
      Ok, here’s the problem. Kubuntu won’t boot when I have my nVIDIA card set as the default card in the BIOS. I have the AGP retrofit version of the nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS video card. The boot screen freezes when it’s around a quarter done doing the bootup process. Now, if I reset the BIOS to use the built-in Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip on my mobo, it will boot up just fine. But this gets annoying because it means having to switch wires and stuff just so I can use Feisty.

It’s obviously something wrong with the nVIDIA restricted driver. I tried instlling the official drivers from the nVIDIA site, no luck.

Any way to get past this?

Well the good news is its not the Nvidia driver. It's the same problem I had getting my nVidia card working on my system that came with a built-in Intel graphics chipset. The below link *should* resolve the problem.

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Nvidia_Intel_Integrated

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
      X