This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LiveCD won't boot

I wanted to give the latest (K)Ubuntu a try as a dual-boot system, and I can't even get the Feisty LiveCD to boot, not even in graphics safe mode.

I have a fairly ordinary system setup; AMD64 processor, NVIDIA 7800 graphics, 2x SATA HDs, 2GB RAM. I couldn't even get my old Dapper LiveCD to boot. What is going on with this?? Not a great first impression.

Re: LiveCD won't boot

Hmmmm. First, do ANY bootable CDs work in your CD ROM drive? Need to make sure the hardware is capable. Second, you saw the Safe Graphics mode on the menu? Then I daresay the CD itself DID boot, but the rest of the display process did not work. So, maybe it is video-related, although safe graphics mode is about as simple as it can get. I dunno ... maybe it just hates Kubuntu CDs ....

Did you try the "Check the CD for defects" thing on the menu?

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Other boot CDs do in fact work, so it's not a drive issue.

I'm not at the PC in question right now, so I'll have to get back to you on some of these.

The Dapper CD was able to load in graphics safe mode, but that release is over a year old and want to give the newer one a try.

Feisty would not finish loading at all. If I recall correctly, normal mode got to a blue screen where I could see and move the mouse cursor, but that was it. Safe mode did not even get that far.

I downloaded a Ubuntu image to see if I might just have gotten a bad ISO, and I will try that tonight. I'd prefer to get the KDE version working, though, as I've heard it is a little more user friendly.

Comment

I like the "Alternate Install" version of the installation ISO, although I don't know that it will run any better on your box. It has a few more options for the user to choose during installation.

Comment

I will give that a try as well. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X