X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't log in all of a sudden

Hi all

I live in an area that's prone fo frequent power outages. Lately, we're getting them twice or more a week. Yesterday, when I got home from work, I discovered there was no power. Upon return, I booted up normally save for a few error messages of files not being 'clean'. I searched for the UPS software I once used using 32 (I run 64 bit now) and installed. Everything went fine. I rebooted to make sure things worked well, and sure did. Booted back up safely and I was contented. I shut down the comp on my way out this morning to work but forgot a project I had to copy to my thumb drive, booted back up and I was presented with a message after logging in.
    can't start kstartupconfig. check your installation
    Ok, wasn't the first time I saw that message, so I booted into safe mode and tried the normal trick that works
    Code:
    sudo chown -R princey:users /home/princey
    and hit the enter key. After typing my password, I got an error message
    chown error can't find /home/princey
    file/directory cannot be found
    Now, that shook me off a bit so I tried the next trick I know would work
    Code:
    sudo chown -R princey:users .kde
    and got the same error message. I tried substituting 'users' with 'princey', but nothing worked. I booted back to the LiveCD and searched the forums. One person got theirs working with
    Code:
    sudo rm -r /home/princey/ .kde/
    That appeared to have done something, but couldn't log in. Finally, I tried typing
    kstartupconfig
    in the terminal to see if I'd get any error messages. I got the following:
    trying to create local folder //.kde/share: permission denied
    so I tried doing a listing of my drives seeing that /home resides on a partition by itself. Sure, it's listed. But when I do the
    Code:
    ls
    command I do see the home directory. But changing to that directory, there's nothing in there. Apparently, it's not using the /home partition but created a /home directory on the /boot partition.

Using Knoppix, my home partition is accessable. I can access any file there on that partition, how do I get Kubuntu to see my home partition as the right /home directory?
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Re: Can't log in all of a sudden

could you pls post the result of the following:
    Code:
    df -h
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Code:
    ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/
    Code:
    ls -ld /home
    if your /home is still there we should be able to get it back easily.
    well...hopefully :P
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to reboot and type everything out by hand then write it all out as I don't have a GUI to copy and paste to and from. I'll be back with the results.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Update.

After finding out that I can get a gui using the
        Code:
        startx
        command, I was able to copy out the results of the commands. From the first command
        Code:
        df -h
        I noticed that fstab wasn't listing my home partition although it showed up in the third command
        Code:
        ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid
        What I did was to copy the uuid out and manually enter it into fstab, adding the rest of the details that should go with it. Rebooted, and here I am posting from my Kubuntu install. Thanks for the pointer in the right direction. 8)

Comment

Working...
        X