This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Partition Hard Drive

I recently purchased Kubuntu 7.04 and can not partition my drive. Upon installation I ran the INSTALL from the Live CD produced Desktop and received the following message: "Failed to copy Disk;faulty Hard Disk? Error #30 Read Only file system: '/target/usr/lib/openssh/ssh-keysign' This particular error is often due to a faulty hard disk. It may help to check whether the hard disk is old and need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler envirnoment."

I then tried to do the partition manually and got a "Failed to create swap space. The creation of swap space in partition #5 of IDE1 Master (HDA)."

Now I previously had Ubuntu 7.04 loaded and working on the drive. I preferred to have Kubuntu so I tried to load it. After Kubuntu failed I reloaded Ubuntu and it loaded fine so I would think the hard drive is ok. What do I do now?? Bobby

Re: Can't Partition Hard Drive

funny situation with your hard drive...

anyway, to get kubuntu on your system,
    just open up synaptic and install the
    kubuntu-desktop package.

you'll then have both gnome and kde and
    will be able to choose which environment
    you want to use at login...

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Guess I could do that but I do not think Ubuntu has a "dial-up" program as part of it's install. At least KDE has KPPP and I think I still remember how to set that up. I'd still like to load Kubuntu instead if anyone has an idea as to what is causing this problem. For example, is there a way to format the drive and start all over again? I would have thought the install would do that as it shows I have 80 Gb free (it's an 80 GB Drive). I have tried the default OS choice and also the manual option but neither one works! How can I get Kubuntu to partition my drive and load the OS?? Bobby

Comment

Installing the kubuntu-desktop will install kubuntu on the computer, as pretty much all of the differences between ubuntu and kubuntu are the KDE desktop, and specific applications developed for KDE by the kubuntu team. The two use the same repositories otherwise.

That said, you should probably try to figure out the problem to confirm it's not something with your hardware. If it were me, I'd either try downloading a new install/live CD or ordering one through the shipit program, to determine if there's something wrong with your CD. That's going to be the easiest thing to fix, if that's the problem, and hopefully that's all it is. If you're still getting problems with the fresh disk, then it's either hardware or the partitioning program included in the install.

If getting a fresh install disk doesn't fix the problem, I suppose you could try finding another partitioning program, and repartition before trying the install again? I can't make recommendations on what program to use, as I've never had problems with the programs included on any linux install disk I've used, and haven't had to partition for any other reason.

Good luck!

Comment

bob,
          i think i've lost you...
          pls, confirm:
          a) you have a kubuntu live cd (i mean, the final release...not some previous betas...)
          b) installing kubuntu fails, supposedly due to hw issues with your drive
          c) ubuntu installs fine on the very same hard drive
          d) and you have ubuntu installed right now
          e) you don't have an ethernet connection
          f) you have a modem

ps:
          btw, just out of curiosity, how/where did you purchase kubuntu 7.04?
          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I suspect as much that the Live/Install disc may be faulty. There's an option when booting from the Live disc to check the CD for defects/authenticity. I can't remember off hand what's the option, but it's there among the options. Run that test and see what it comes back with.
            Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Hi All,

Yes, I have checked the CD using the option on the first screen. It says the CD is ok. As for the other questions, yes I have the final release. I got it from www.edmunds-enterprises.com. They are out of Northern Florida. Ubuntu installs fine and is on the computer now so can I assume the drive is ok? If not, how did Ubuntu partition it and load? Finally, I have a modem (internal and not a winmodem and also have an external in case Linux is picky). My next options is to try and get another disk but would the partition program even run if it was defective? Any additional thoughts would be MOST appreciated.....Bobby

Comment

Is this an update situation? Are you resizing the existing partition or rebuilding from scratch? Because it will wipe the partition by default. Try looking for a how-to that explains how you upgrade to 7.04 from the version of ubuntu that you have loaded. If you are getting HDD mounting errors, that could mean the kernel that is built, doesn't have support for your HDD controller. Such is the case when an older machine is involved and the developers assume all users are bleeding edge when they use Kubuntu. :: rant over ::

Try using the failsafe settings or the commandline boot prompt "expert" if the install disc still supports it.

Comment

given the description of the issue, your drive is definitely alright.
                  ubuntu installing fine and kubuntu not installing does not make sense, though.
                  i don't know...
                  boot your box off the kubuntu live and see if it gets to see the ubuntu partitions and stuff.
                  if you can do that, then i'd dare say your hard drive is alright and your kubuntu cd is alright.
                  and it "just" remains to find out what the hell prevents kubuntu from installing.
                  i'd...
                  try to install kubuntu again.
                  want to manually partition the drive.
                  make sure all the old partitions be deleted before creating the new ones for kubuntu.
                  keep it simple and recreate a primary swap partition and a primary / partition with ext3.
                  remember you can only have a maximum of 4 primary partitions...but i guess you know that...
                  have a go...

ps:
                  i'm not at all sure kppp is on the live cd by default.
                  gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

The partition process is one of the most confusing parts of a Linux install!

When you check the setup, look at :
                    1. The partition is bootable.
                    2. The attaching point is /

Comment

Seems to be fixed (will know in a few days if I can get the time to try it out further)! I swapped out the IDE Data Cable and then the installation went fine. Now if I could get it to "see" my modem I'd be "cookin"! I guess that is for another post!! MB

Comment

Working...
                      X