This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 6.10 --> Kubuntu 7.04

my one pc wont take live cds, and all I have for Kubuntu 7.04 (the os i want) are live cds. i dont wanna worry about getting an alt for it, i have an alternate for ubuntu 6.10.

can i just use that to puu ubuntu 610 on, and run 61o off hdd, and them use the kubuntu cd to install it?

will i get kubuntu even though i had normal?

can i go from gnome to kde this way?

I also want firefox oposed to Konqueror...
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ubuntu 6.10 --&gt; Kubuntu 7.04

I don't know much about Linux, but
    Can't you just download an alternate install CD then burn it? Or you could request a CD and use Ubuntu 6.10 until it comes?

Comment

I could get an Alt for Kubuntu 7.04 but if this way works, why?
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi

It can be done without a CD although you must bear in mind that if the thing goes totally pear-shaped, and there is a risk of this, and you have no CD, you have a problem.

First, do a backup of your data. Crucial!!!!!!!

Then open adept and select manage repositories. Then change all references in the repositories from edgy to Feisty and then select in adept fetch updates. Once that is done, you should have at least a couple of hundred packages to upgrade. You can upgrade via adept or from the command line with sudo apt-get distupgrade.

Once done, you need to reboot. Now, you are quite likely to be greeted with a black screen, signifying failure to load x. If this happens type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and then type

startx.

That should then get you up and running with Feisty.

At that point you will still be in ubuntu. To get kubuntu you will have to download (via adept) the kubuntu desktop package and all its dependencies. To run firefox download firefox.

Then logout, rather than reboot. At the login screen, select a KDE session.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Comment

Does it have to be that complicated? I cant just insert my Kubuntu 7.04 disk and let it do that?

When you imply to backup, do you mean the data one the drive where I am installing?

Comment

Hi

Any OS upgrade is of course, risky, so any date that you don't want to lose should copied to a remote location, either a 2nd hard drive/partition/CD or DVD.

As I see it, your PC won't run live CDs? As a result, your only hope of using one of those disks would seem to me to be to try to add it as a repository in adept. I'm not sure whether you can actually do this. Otherwise you need the alternate CD or to go though the procedure I referred to which is how I went from dapper to edgy (although to go to Feisty I downloaded the CD).

The process I outlined is how you would do an "upgrade" which would leave all your user files and settings intact, and upgrade your installed programs. Using the CD, unless you are using a separate home partition you will start completely afresh.

Swings and roundabouts really, either way, a pretty big download, unless adept can be persuaded to use the CD as a repository. Given that I've not read anyone advocating it, I suspect it can't be done.

Ian

Comment

All my Songs, Pics, Documents are already on my Fat32 USB HD which I use all the time [that USB HD is backed up on another one].

If I insert the Kubuntu 7.04 and just run "Installer" will that work?

Comment

I don't know, because I have never tried it

However, let's look at this from another angle. You say your PC won't take live CDs. Do you have any idea why? What error messages (if any) do you get when you try?

Ian

Comment

Have you tried any other live cd (ubuntu, knoppix, pclinux0s 2007) ? Is your bios set to boot the cd drive first?
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                    The process I outlined is how you would do an "upgrade" which would leave all your user files and settings intact, and upgrade your installed programs. Using the CD, unless you are using a separate home partition you will start completely afresh.
                    OK, let me check my facts.

I have a working copy of Kubuntu Dapper on my old Compal Laptop. Everything works, including my old Netgear wireless card. I've just done a full upgrade of everything installed that was upgradable.

My old Compal doesn't have any trouble booting from live CDs, When the setup screen shows, I just press "c" for CDROM boot and up she comes.

My satellite ISP gets unhappy when I do big downloads, so I spent a few bucks and bought a Kubuntu 7.04 Live CD. It boots up and runs without a problem. I think it would be nice to to upgrade to 7.04.

I understand from reading here that this is not a simple thing. If I click the install button it will wipe the disk and do a fresh install, not an upgrade?

The only way I can upgrade is to go into Adept, set up the live CD as a repository, edit all the other repositories to v7.04, fetch upgrades and do the full upgrade thing again?

Q. If I do this, will Adept go to the CDROM for updates by preference, or will it go to the Internet and download a few hundred megabytes of updates, thereby annoying my satellite ISP?

Before wading into the swamp, I prefer to have some idea how deep it is...

Regards, John Kinney

Comment

OK, As I understand it, the only way to "upgrade" in the true sense is via adept. Doing it this way adept looks for all packages for which there are newer files available and upgrades them.

A half way house is via the CD. However, for this I think you need a separate home partition so that all your settings/data etc are saved, but so far as the root partition containing the apps is concerned, I don't see any option other than to wipe it and replace the system. When I used it Mandriva had an "upgrade" option but it never really worked for me.

For the future, if you decide to do a CD install, you would be wise to set up a separate home partition as it saves a lot of hassle.

Ian

Comment

My machine wont take Live CDs how can I install Kubuntu 7.04 without getting an alternate CD?

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                          you need a separate home partition so that all your settings/data etc are saved
                          All my data is on my USB HD, and besides I plan on installing 6.10 and then installing 7.04 right away so there will be no data anyways!

Comment

Working...
                          X