X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACPI, WiFi, Adept, sudo / kdesu etc..

I'm running Kubuntu Feisty (upgraded) .

#1 Why would XP turn off and Kubuntu not (since about Kernel 2.6.18 on the desktops)?

I have, in the past, had success with old releases of Kubuntu (turning all the way off) but not now. I added commands to the boot string, nothing seemed to work. Is the current kernel incompatible or what? Please tell me (again) a clear idea of what to try and I will do it.

I just don't like leaving my computers on all the time. Also, assuming I have my important working files saved, what are the pros and cons of just hitting the big power switch. One can't beat that for shut down time saved. Still, I want to click shutdown...leave, and know that (eventually) it will turn "off" (fan off etc...).

ALSO...
    #2 I've having a frustrating time with Wifi when it is on the fringe. I use "wlassistant" to see a signal bar for my router and to reconnect as it sometimes goes in and out of range. The problem is, after a few tries, the wlassistant CRASHES. Why? is there a better choice? The others I have seen, do not give this control; that I need.

#3 Many times when I exit Adept, I can't use any other means to upgrade due to an Adept running that I clearly closed (unless I reboot). What's up what that? I can't fix it by killing adept either. Strange.

#4 I've learned to use sudo with non-X programs (like nano) and to use kdesu(or gksudo with gnome) with X programs(like gedit). It bugs the heck out of me when sometimes though, the kdesu password popup dialog simply will not come up (again unless rebooted). What's the deal?

I have also noticed this, in the nice Kubuntu "system settings" (and then under network settings) when selecting the sometimes required "Administrator mode". Sometimes, there's just nothing; when you are waiting for a password dialog. Why?

Thank you.

Re: ACPI, WiFi, Adept, sudo / kdesu etc..

Motherboard is an AS7333. I have heard RUMOR of a mod to a resistor on the MB but no details.

I still can not help wondering why it worked great on old Kernels.

Comment

Working...
    X