This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub and windows vista

I am trying to dual boot Vista on my PC but I dont want GRUB to be the bootloader instead i am using EasyBCD.I downloaded the Kubuntu Desktop CD could anyone please tell me where I would go to during installation so as to specify where GRUB should install to because I dont want to overwrite Windows MBR.

Re: Grub and windows vista

You'll want the "Alternate" Kubuntu installation CD, which allows some choices in the placement of Grub. Also, you should search on Ubuntu Forums for issues related to Vista -- I've heard about some problems, but I'm not using it so I don't know the specifics.

HTH

Comment

Yes, what dibl said.

For sure, you do NOT want the installer to put GRUB in any Master Boot Record (MBR).
      I think you'd be safe to put GRUB in the same partition as the root (/) of your Kubuntu (it's just a bunch of files under /boot and /boot/grub that you do not have to use if you don't want to).

Ultimately, though, you pretty much have to figure out what EasyBCD requires of you here.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for the help. One other quick question. Can I use the Installation DVD? Or will I have to download the Alternate Kubuntu installation CD?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I think with Vista, M$ changed the boot method which requires some work to dual boot with it. You definitely don't want GRUB to mess with it because it doesn't behave like the old WIN9x or BOOT.INI methods anymore. At least that has been my experience.

Comment

Thanks everyone working on it.

Comment

I believe you can use the regular Live installation CD.

As I recall (it’s been a few months), you choose the manual or custom install method (NOT the automatic method). Then there are 6 steps it takes you through. In Step 5 or Step 6, at the lower right corner, there will be a button called “Advanced.” Your GRUB option is there (ie, where to put GRUB). Put it in the same partition as you put the Kubuntu root (/) files, and you’ll have to know the notational designation for that partition, like (hd0, 3) if that’s where / is, or whatever. In this notation, remember that counting starts at zero.

Example: (hd0, 3) is the first hard drive (ie, (hd0)), the 4th partition (that’s the “3” since the counting would be 0, 1, 2, 3 for the 4 th partition). The second hard drive is (hd1), and so on.

dibl’s right, in general. Advanced, custom, and rescue options are on the Alternate CD. But for what you need here, if you catch that * subtle * Advanced button, you should be alright.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You need an Alt for Dual Boot with Vista?? Live [Desktop] CDs dont have grub?
                My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X