This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using existing lvm and partitions?

Hello, I have a couple of questions about the installation of kubuntu 704.

1. I want to reuse my existing lvm and partition scheme (or at least part of it), to do this do I need the alternate install cd?

2. Is there a detailed guide for the partitioning tool used in kubuntu 704?

I have been using linux since 1998, I have a lot of experience with redhat and suse. I am not new to reading forums and have started the alternate boot cd and gone to the partitioning section then backed out. I seemed I had no option to use any of my existing partitions within my lvm scheme.
    The system did see both of my volume groups, but I think it wanted to write data to disk without giving me a chance to layout my partitioning scheme.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to move my laptop to kubuntu for the wireless card support, namely the bcm4311.

Thanks in advance.

--
    John
    Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
    http://counter.li.org

Re: Using existing lvm and partitions?

From all that I've read, you have to use the alt. install disk when dealing with LVM or software Raid (even the fakeRaid).
    I have a similar setup to yours where I'm trying to reuse an old LVM, but the LVM tools on the alt. install disk seem to be messed up. If you get yours to work with your existing LVM, let me know. I'm in the process of re-downloading the ISO, and then re-burning it. Hopefully this fixes it.

The partitioner is cake. You'll want to do a "manual partition", set up any partitions outside the LVM, then start the "LVM Configuration" option at the top. It will probably ask if you want to activate your old LVM group (say Yes). After that, I don't know what happens because PartMan-LVM hangs. Luckily, if it hangs, nothing on the LVM has been changed, and you can restart.

Comment

Working...
    X