This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty won't boot after kernel update

I may have originally posted this to the wrong forum as I was searching on the error message and ended up in Dapper. But here it is again, just in case.

I just updated my (previously working) Fiesty Fawn kernel and when I rebooted, all I get is the BusyBox (initramfs) prompt with the error message:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

I can boot from my Edgy live CD and mount the root partition.
    It doesn't appear that anything changed in fstab. What else should I be looking for?

Also, how can I make Kubuntu display boot messages?

Re: Feisty won't boot after kernel update

When grub starts up, there's a little time you have to hit escape and choose, if you haven't removed the older kernel, to decide which kernel to boot up with.

Comment

For the sake of reference: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=10180.0

Comment

Curiouser and curiouser. I was booted into the Edgy live CD anyway so I mounted the root partition and edited /boot/grub/menu.lst. I commented out 'hiddenmenu' option as well as remove all of the 'quiet' and 'splash' options for the various kernels. I now have a very noisy boot screen, but at least I can see what's happening.

Now the odd part. I let the system boot from the new kernel (2.6.20-16) and everything appears to work.
        I got no errors and I can log into my X desktop with full functionality. Not sure why.

Comment

I also had a problem after upgrading to kernel 2.6.20-16. The error message said there was a kernel panic and that /root could not be found. I then booted into Kubuntu via Debian (lenny-testing) and Kubuntu kernel -15. Kubuntu worked. Going into Kubuntu using the Kubuntu grub menu resulted in kernel -15 working. Since I wanted to make a bug report, I then went to boot into Kubuntu kernel -16 from the Kubuntu grub menu and there was no error. All worked normally!

I also upgraded Ubuntu 7.04 which is on a different computer. The problem there was an "error 22 partition not found" from grub. I was unable to boot into either kernel -16 or -15. The solution was to press "e" when in the grub menu and edit the root line to reference the correct disk partition. The upgrade corrupted the grub menu.

The upgrade to the new kernel is causing problems which seem to differ from system to system.

Comment

check /etc/fstab with live-CD and verify that the hard disk identification (uuid and/or hda/sda) match with grub menu.lst
            Kernel 2.6.20-15 identifies hard disks by UUID or as "sd__" (IDE/SCASI etc.)
            instead
            Kernel 2.6.20-16 identifies by UUID or as "hd__" ide hard disks and "sd__" SCASI

By Exfonderia

Comment

This here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...72500#msg72500

Comment

Working...
              X