This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with partitioning.

And not just a tutorial. I need some actual advice. All the tutorials are either vague or have a different screen altogether. It gives me the option to do entire disk or manual. I choose manual and it gives me three different /dev/sda files. /dev/sda2 is an ntfs and is by far the biggest, so I'm assuming I'm going to be using it. I just don't know what to do.

Re: Need help with partitioning.

you'll need to provide much more information on what you intend to do to get pertinent advice. so far i can deduce you would use the second partition of your hard drive. it would be useful to know the drive's structure (the three partitions type and size) and which one(s) do you intend to use for linux.

Comment

Ah, my bad. Alright, I want to have windows and linux partitioned. the three files are /dev/sda1 type fat16 which is 32 mb and all of it is used.

/dev/sda2 is type ntfs and is 154980 mb large with 153700 mb used.

/dev/sda3 is type fat32 is 4984 mb large with 3900 used.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to use for linux. I'm assuming the largest partition, ntfs, is the one I should use, but again, I am not sure.

Comment

Ummmmm, the advice is "Get more hard drive space." :P

If you want to keep the data and software currently on that disk, and unless you are keeping a secret about some unpartitioned space, it appears you have a grand total of 2.2 GB of space unused (1.2 from sda2, and 1 from sda3). That is about 10 GB less than the minimum that you should attempt to put a Kubuntu system on, assuming you want to do anything more than trivial experiments on it.

As far as the filesystem, your best and first choice would be ext3. Kubuntu (and many Linuces) can read FAT32, and with special software, ntfs, but they want to run on ext3 or reiserfs filesystems.

On the other hand, if you are proposing to trash the existing partitions and install Kubuntu, then you really should re-partition the drive. I use a GParted Live CD for this purpose, available as an ISO image here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

I would delete all existing partitions, then make 3 new partitions of 1.5GB (for swap), 10GB (for /), and all the rest of it for /home.

If you want more information about partitioning for Linux, or if you hope to have Windows sharing that drive, then here is where you do your reading:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

Hope this is helpful!

Comment

Now this structure is quite strange... your first partition is only 32MB and FAT 16?
          If so, it probably holds some hardware/disk information and I wouldn't touch it.
          So I would assume the second, large one holds your windows installation, and would require shrinking in order to setup kubuntu (and since it's almost full you'll need to free up some space). The third one, being FAT32 might be useful as common storage for both OS's (linux can read ntfs, and with ntfs-3g it can also write to ntfs, but windows cannot read or write on linux partitions).
          I prepared my linux hard drive space from windows without resizing partitions, so I can't really guide you in that process. Obviously you'll need to free up some space, defragment the partition and backup your important stuff

edit: dibl is right. If possible, re-partition the drive. That will mean losing your current windows setup and having to reinstall it prior to setting up kubuntu

Comment

Well I was getting some help with this, and the guy I was talking to told me to free up like 20 gigs. So I went into Windows and started deleting a bunch of programs and things that I never used, and it said that there was about 20 something gigs free on windows alone. I have no idea what happened here.

Comment

Working...
            X