This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

modules.conf

Hi, what have you done with modules.conf? I need to pass mousepoll=2 to usbhid at boot. I've been doing "sudo rmmod usbhid ; sudo modprobe usbhid mousepoll=2" every time I boot Linux, but it's getting annoying.

And what about grub.conf? Has this been replaced by menu.lst?

Either I'm crazy, or Kubuntu has made broad, sweeping, arbitrary changes to pretty much everything. >

Re: modules.conf

Bump.

If there is no modules/modprobe.conf, how do I permanently set mousepoll 2?

Please help.

Comment

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/modprobe.d.5.html

Comment

check /etc/modprobe.d directory

Ah, Birdy beat me to it :P

Comment

Thanks, but that doesn't work. I created "usbhid.modprobe" containing "options usbhid mousepoll=2" and rebooted, but the option was not set.

Is usbhid not a module? I've read about a method using the kernel commandline, but again, there doesn't seem to be a grub.conf. I placed the appropriate command in menu.lst but got an error, so either menu.lst does not replace grub.conf, or the syntax has changed -- or usbhid is indeed a module in Feisty. I assume it is, since I've been doing "sudo rmmod usbhid ; sudo modprobe usbhid mousepoll=2" and have verified this to be working as expected.

I must be doing something wrong here....

Comment

Checklist
            1. have you added 'usbhid' to /etc/modules?

2. try adding 'options usbhid mousepoll=2' to /etc/modprobe.d/options

As a last resort (if everything else fails) you can add your 'working' command (rmmod usbhid ; modprobe usbhid mousepoll=2) to /etc/rc.local (it's run at the end of the boot process as root so no need to sudo the commands). That is a rather 'unclean' way of doing it, of course, so try if you can make it work at module load time first.

Comment

Originally posted by kgyqlwerrmemd
              there doesn't seem to be a grub.conf
              http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...#Configuration

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                Checklist
                1. have you added 'usbhid' to /etc/modules?
                Yep, I had already tried that on a wild guess with no results.

2. try adding 'options usbhid mousepoll=2' to /etc/modprobe.d/options
                I had high hopes for this one when I saw other module options in there, but no luck. I tried it with and without your first suggestion. I even tried recreating "usbhid.modprobe" with the option in there as well, along with your two suggestions. No good.

As a last resort (if everything else fails) you can add your 'working' command (rmmod usbhid ; modprobe usbhid mousepoll=2) to /etc/rc.local (it's run at the end of the boot process as root so no need to sudo the commands). That is a rather 'unclean' way of doing it, of course, so try if you can make it work at module load time first.
                This works. But you're right, it seems a rather dumb way to do it. It's really quite baffling; as an uneducated Linux user it would seem to me that your two suggestions, when combined, would be the correct way to do it.

Originally posted by UnicornRider
                Originally posted by kgyqlwerrmemd
                there doesn't seem to be a grub.conf
                http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...#Configuration
                Thanks. It looks like menu.lst does indeed replace grub.conf. I'll remember that in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X