This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with booting

I've sucessfullt burned the image file to a cd with nero, but whenever I try to boot from CD I get freezing. I get to the screen where it asks whether I want start/install, start in safe mode, ect and I click the top option where I want to start/install. It then goes through a bit of loading, and eventually it comes to the blue screen with the curser in the middle, and freezes there. Sometimes it loads up the wavey background image and a white bar on the bottom (no buttons, just a bar) but I never get to see the little "install" button at the top left corner like I'm supposed to. What can I do? I really don't want to have to be stuck using windows.

Re: Problems with booting

1) try the 'check CD for defects' option
    2) try burning the CD at a slower burn rate for greater reliability
    3) burn and use the alternate install CD, which is text-only - I've had spotty results with the LiveCD on various machines but the alternate CD worked every time.
    Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

Awesome, the alternate boot file worked. Thanks. So far I'm loving linux =D

How the hell is it not conquering microsoft? it's far superior!

Comment

Glad you got it working. I switched to linux about 2 years ago and never looked back!
        Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by IgnorantGuru
          3) burn and use the alternate install CD, which is text-only -
          If its text only, how does it handle partitioning your hard disks? I have a hard time imagining that without some sort of gui. As I'm having problems installing Kubuntu, I may have to give it a try.

Comment

It does have a sort of GUI with the text install. I think it's better calling it 'Alternate CD'. In fact the Alternate CD handles partioning way better than the GUI IMHO. Give it a try.
            Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Originally posted by georgeg
              If its text only, how does it handle partitioning your hard disks? I have a hard time imagining that without some sort of gui.
              It's not really "text only" -- probably "character mode" is a better description. Think of the original Lotus 1-2-3 or something like that -- there are lots of things that can be done with all the ASCI characters to play with on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeg
                If its text only, how does it handle partitioning your hard disks? I have a hard time imagining that without some sort of gui. As I'm having problems installing Kubuntu, I may have to give it a try.
                As one can learn e.g. from the Debian installer (screenshot), "no graphics" does by no means equal "no interface"

But, of course, Dibl is right - only than almost nobody using these forums is old enough to remember Lotus et al.

(I've started misusing computers with these "no frills" spreadsheets - but that's a different story ...)

Comment

Working...
                X