X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty Fawn Install problem on Dell Inspiron E1705

Hi all:
    When I run the live CD everything excepet WI seems to work. How ever when I install Feisty Fawn on my Dell Inspiron E1705 the system fails to boot with a error message about bcm43XX.microcode.5 etc not being installed. I have the mini wifi card installed which is identified as a Broadcom Corp. pci controller Device 4311. Is there a way around this problem. Did not have this problem with Edgy. Getting Wi Fi to work is another problem. Can someone help.

Ralph
    Ralph<br />ICQ #49993234, AIM &amp; Yahoo ralphfdewitt<br />Jabber, Skype &amp; Google Talk ralphdewitt<br />

Re: Feisty Fawn Install problem on Dell Inspiron E1705

Originally posted by IgnorantGuru
    Are you sure the microcode error is where it stops? Usually that error will not cause it to stop booting. May be incidental to your boot problem.

You could try blacklisting that driver if you can access the filesystem another way (liveCD or burn a copy of SystemRescueCD www.sysresccd.org):

EDIT FILE: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Add line: blacklist bcm43xx

Here's a howto for Broadcomm
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=285809

For me it boiled down to this
    Code:
    #Disable kernel driver
    pico /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    	Add line: blacklist bcm43xx

Adept: install ndiswrapper-utils

#Obtain bcmwl5.sys and .inf driver from Windows folder or elsewhere
    ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    ndiswrapper -l
    	Should return driver and hardware present
    pico /etc/modules
    	Add line: ndiswrapper
    	#This causes kernel to load ndiswrapper automatically, otherwise use modprobe ndiswrapper

#Reboot - eth1 should now be present and working
    Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
    X