This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu freezes on boot

Hi all.. i m a newbie.. i had ubuntu 6 installed previously in my laptop dell inspiron 1501 along with windows vista but i was never able to get the wireless working. I heard that ubuntu 7 has better hardware support, so i installed kubuntu feisty fawn from cd. i used the ext3 partition of my previous ubuntu, resized it and increased the swap size and installed kubuntu.

when i started the installation i used the commands irqpoll pci=nomsi .. linux has never detected my sata hard disk in my dell 1501. i found these commands in some forum and i have used this command to install suse and ubuntu 6. now every time it boots, kubuntu freezes... the weird thing is, it freezes at different points in boot every time, sometimes before loading the gui, sometimes after loaging the gui when i click on any icon. but every time, the caps and scroll lock lights keep blinking for ever.

can anyone please help me regarding this. how can i trouble shoot this?

Thanks in advance

Re: Kubuntu freezes on boot

Not sure but if it was my system, I would first burn a new CD, check it for defects, and reinstall - this will eliminate a botched install.

If the same behavior repeats, you might have a look in /var/logs to see if the logs show anything unusual. Also do a thorough web search for that model and see if there are any known issues. Also do a memory test (install CD has the memtest boot option). Also disconnect peripherals and disable various components to see if it has any effect on the problem - it's a matter of narrowing it down.

If you haven't installed a proprietary video driver, try that. If you have installed one, try booting with it disabled.
    Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

Re: Kubuntu freezes on boot

I have a system which was working fine with
      Feisty, KDE 3.5.7 and kernel 2.6.20-15-generic

Yesterday Adept updated the kernel to 2.6.20-16-generic and now I get intermittent (but frequent) lock-ups at boot.
      I turned off "splash" in menu.lst to see what was locking up and I seem to get 2 messages.....

irq 18: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
      So I did (added irqpoll to the end of the line in menu.lst)

and now I get...
      Intel_rng: FWH not detected

Even when it gets past this message and starts up the message is still there.

Comment

Working...
      X