This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel boots, but not GUI

I had to boot from my live CD to post this because when I try to boot from kubuntu on my hard drive, it shows the splash screen with the loading bar, and then when that's over, it flashes to a black command-line-like screen with something on it, but that disappears too fast for me to read anything but the word "logon." It then goes back to the splash screen, the loading bar stays black for a while, and then it goes to a blank screen with a flashing white underscore for a cursor. I can type things onto this screen, but it brings no response from the computer. Kubuntu had worked for a while, but now it doesn't. Can someone please tell me how I might be able to fix it?

Re: Kernel boots, but not GUI

Same thing happened to me two times.
    Unfortunately I just reinstalled the OS because I was unable to correct it.
    I was told here and on other forums that it has something to do with "x" being corrupted and had to do something within terminal. However all the fixes people suggested to me never worked and it was just easier to reinstall...
    If someone has any suggestions go for it, but nothing short of the reinstall worked for me.
    FYI, it has been more than two weeks now since my last reinstall and so far so good.

Comment

This has happened to me as well. Now I have a separate partition for all my personal type files so that if I need to reinstall I know my data is safe. Reinstall is so quick it often works out as the easiest solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesin
        I had to boot from my live CD to post this because when I try to boot from kubuntu on my hard drive, it shows the splash screen with the loading bar, and then when that's over, it flashes to a black command-line-like screen with something on it, but that disappears too fast for me to read anything but the word "logon." It then goes back to the splash screen, the loading bar stays black for a while, and then it goes to a blank screen with a flashing white underscore for a cursor. I can type things onto this screen, but it brings no response from the computer. Kubuntu had worked for a while, but now it doesn't. Can someone please tell me how I might be able to fix it?
        I know what you mean. I was working with Dapper and wanted to go to Feisty, skipping the Edgy. So as suggested when you skip a version, I decided to do a clean install.
        When the LiveCD booted, no problem. At the splashscreen, I selected the language, keyboard settings and screen resolution (1024x768x32).
        First thing I noticed when it started was, that the screen resolution was not what I had selected, but 1090x1090 instead. I have tried other settings as well, but no matter what screenresolution I'm trying to select, it always winds up with the 1090x1090 settings.
        I have a AMD K7-1000Mhz, with over 256M RAM and a Sis630/730 videocard onboard. I know its an old PC and the videocard ain't exactly terrific, but it should work.
        Yesterday I have found this link on the forum, I haven't tried it yet due to lack of time, but maybe it will help you a little further, since I think its a problem with the videocard.
        The one thing I find very strange in my case, is that it works with the LiveCD, but after the installation, I'm having the same problem as you....Kubuntu Feisty shows the splashscreen and bar...loads.....and then hangs.
        Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Comment

Sorry , my mistake, I forgot the link.
          Well anyway, here it is:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fi...solutionHowto?
          Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Comment

this happened to me when i was trying to get my video drivers to work with tv out. as the link in the post above says, trying reconfiguring xorg:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

did the trick for me :-)

Comment

When it stops with only the blinking cursor in the upper left corner, type Alt-F1. You might get a normal text-mode login prompt. If so, log in and then run the xserver reconfiguration script:

Code:
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
              You can choose "yes" on the first screen to the "autodetect?" question, but probably this is actually the problem -- Kubuntu is not correctly identifying your graphics chip. So, if the first time through the script brings you back to the blinky cursor on the dead screen, then the next time you run the script, choose "no" on that first screen, choose "VESA" on the second screen, and then when you get to the monitor, choose only the resolution that you want to use while you work with finding and installing a suitable driver.

At the end of the reconfiguration script, you type
              Code:
              startx
              to run your GUI.

HTH

Comment

Working...
              X