This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Alternate CD install confusion

I am looking to upgrade my copy of Kubuntu 6.10 to 7.04 using the Alternate CD.

To upgrade, I hit ALT-F2 and type:

kdesu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

This command opens a Distribution Upgrade window, telling me that I am about to upgrade Ubuntu to 7.04. Ubuntu?! Is this correct? Or is there something wrong with my system that makes the CD think I am using Ubuntu? I am sure that I downloaded the KUBUNTU alternate install CD, so why is the CD trying to upgrade my OS to Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu? Am I being overly paranoid here? Should I simply go ahead with the upgrade? Or will upgrading in this way completely mess up my system?

Sorry if I seem paranoid, but I'm new to Kubuntu and just want to be cautious before I move forward with the upgrade. I just can't seem to find much information about upgrading Kubuntu using an alternate CD, all the information I've found deals solely with Ubuntu. Is there a difference between upgrading Ubuntu vs. upgrading Kubuntu? Or can I use the same instructions for upgrading Ubuntu with my Kubuntu upgrade?

Thanks!

Re: Kubuntu Alternate CD install confusion

Im fairly noob at *Ubuntu also, that said:

As far as i could tell all distributions of *Ubuntu are mostly identical.
    With these differences:
    Ubuntu uses Gnome as XWindows desktop.
    Kubuntu uses KDE as XWindows desktop.
    Xubuntu etc use yet another desktop manager as XWindows desktop.

Hence their names all end with "ubuntu"
    You can visualy see which CD/DVD yiu have by looking at the startup splash screen when booting from the CD/DVD.
    Ubuntu has a orange sheme and Kubuntu a Blue/Purple one.
    Well thats all for now, 3M

Comment

First off. Don't quote me on this, cause i'm not totally sure.

BUT...... I would think an upgrade would just upgrade the packages that you already have installed. I.E.: Kubuntu.

But i would wait until someone verifies that. I don't want to be the one that broke your system...

Comment

Thanks guys! I will give the upgrade a try then.

Comment

Working...
        X