This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Linux user boot problem

Having been a Windows user, in it's various guises, for more years than I care to remember, and becoming increasingly irritated with MS and it's products, I have decided to make the move to Linux.

I've tried Suse, and it's look and feel are familiar, but it takes so long to load, it might as well be XP pro, or Vista! I did however like the KDE interface.

I tried an earlier version of Ubuntu. I found it loaded quickly, with no input from me. (I like that), but was not too keen on Gnome. It seems Kubuntu might be the way to go?

Here's where my problems start.

What I know about Linux could be written on the back of a very small postage stamp!

I Installed Kubuntu 7.04 on a spare hard drive.

After the reboot I am confronted by a black screen stating.

Busy Box V1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-3ubuntu3) Built-in Shell (ash)
    Enter `help` for a list of commands.

/bin/sh: Can't access tty; job control turned off

(initramfs)

and a flashing prompt cursor.

I typed help and got several lines of possible commands, none of which mean a damn thing to me

I browsed this forum, and found this thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082762.0

The topic seems similar to my problem, and reply #3 suggests

At the command prompt type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Then type startx

I tried the above, word for word.

Command sudo not recocgnised.

I am aware that sudo should give " super user" or administrator priveliges, but the rest of it might just as well be a magic spell.

I tried again, omitting sudo. with similar results.

I aplogise in advance for needing "hand holding", but as I stated, I know nothing. I do however have a desire to learn.

Would someone please give me some pointers ?

System is ix86
    Athlon 2200+
    1 Gb
    Drive for Kubunto is 40 Gb split 37/3 for swap
    Graphics NVidia Gforce 6200 (256mb)

(BTW the spelling is British english )

Re: New Linux user boot problem

In short, your boot loader's configuration doesn't match up with your current installation(s).

For details, please refer to this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=292533

Comment

Working...
    X