This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot with SATA and IDE HD

I've built a new box - first with 64 bit and first with SATA. I have an old 130GB IDE drive as well as the new 320 GB SATA. I want to use the IDE for data only and set up a couple of small partitions (say 20GB) for both Windows and the root directory for feisty and then a large partition for data plus a final swap partition.

When I install windows, it works fine. Then I install feisty and go through the partioning and installation. On reboot, grub is a no-show and the system tries to boot into windows but windows is now corrupt.

Is there a known issue related to SATA drives and feisty? Is there some trick I'm missing?

I have previously set up my other two computers with Windows (2K and XP) and Kubuntu with no problems, but both systems are IDE.

Thanks in advance for help.

Re: Dual Boot with SATA and IDE HD

Yep -- if you search this forum or Ubuntu Forums for SATA plus PATA/IDE combination problems, you will find exactly the situation that you have discovered empirically. I built this system on an Intel D975XBX motherboard, hung an IDE drive and 2 SATA drives on it, and spent 3 days trying to convince Kubuntu Edgy that it would be OK to put Grub on one of the SATA drives. Big waste of time! I'm not sure if it is a BIOS bug or a Linux bug, and it really doesn't matter much as long as you understand the behavior and adapt your system to deal with it.

I eventually fdisked all 3 hard drives, then first installed Windows XP on a partition on the same SATA drive where I also wanted to install Kubuntu, leaving the IDE drive unpartitioned and unformatted. With that done, I used the "Alternate Install" Kubuntu CD to install Linux, and when it got to the point of installing Grub, it was happy to use the mbr where it saw the Windows bootloader. So that's how I "fooled" it into doing things my way. Your mileage may vary, of course ....

8)

Comment

I’ve seen cases where you can fix that * mess * by re-installing grub so that it is set up in the MBR of the Windows drive, using root - setup commands and the basic methods of:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Then, I’ve seen cases where, well, what dibl says … things just get out of control and not exactly understandable.

You could try doing what I suggest in the 1st sentence . . .( ? )
      It sure won’t hurt/damage anything, and there’s a chance (maybe even a nontrivial chance) that it’ll do the trick.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I currently have Windows XP installed on a SATA hd and Kubuntu on an IDE hd. When I boot up I have the option to load Linux or Windows. Works great! (ASUS board) I did however install windows first.

Comment

author=flash_gordon link=topic=3083082.msg69970#msg69970

I did however install windows first.
          I think that's a key ingredient in the secret recipe!

8)

Comment

Working...
          X