This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD does not eject after install

Hi everyone. As you can guess by by screen name I am new to both Kubuntu and Ubuntu. I downloaded the iso file for Kubuntu fiesty. Booted from the CD and first thing I did was test CD for defects. All seemed well. Then I installed Kubuntu. During the install process, everything went well, at first thought that something was wrong when I noticed that the install was stuck at about 76%; after taking a wild guess at turning on my cable modem the install continued and finished. Now here is what I think is a small problem and curious if anyone else has encountered it. After the install was completed received the message about restarting the system and removing the CD otherwise it will boot from the CD.

I tried pressing the eject botton and nothing happens; after pressing the OK button to restart the system, I hear the CD spinning and kept trying to press the eject button to eject the CD. It would not eject. I had to cut power to the computer ( Yes I know foolish thing to do) After doing that I was able to eject the CD and the system booted without a problem.

So I was just curious if anyone else has encountered a similar problem.

My current PC is a Dell Dimension 2350 with 768MB of RAM 40G harddrive.
    And a CD-RW.
    I kept Windows XP (dual partition) Have not booted into XP to see if I can but will address that in the proper forums

Hope that this is issue is posted in the correct area

PS.
    Please do not flame me, I've been given the impression that everyone who uses Linux are very helpful and nice people; especially to those that are new

Re: CD does not eject after install

I think this is just one of those little niggly things that get sent to try us from time to time I have experienced from time to time an unresponsive eject button. It tends to be when the system "thinks" you still need the CD.

As you say it booted fine I would not unduly worry about it. For the acid test, when running kubuntu insert a cd and when you get the icon on the desktop right click on it and select "eject". It should work. If not, let us know.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by newbienNJ
      It would not eject.
      It should - but not until the system being "down" (read: no longer accessing the particular file system).

Comment

UnicornRider and The Liquidator thanks for your replies.
        The Liquidator I'll try what you said. As you stated it thinks it still needs the CD; it would be nice if after the install the program would stop thinking that it still needs the CD, but overall I am happy and beginning to like Kubuntu and starting to steer away from MS; or at the least use it sparingly.
        Thanks again everyone

Comment

Working...
        X