This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I?

Have been using Ubuntu since dapper. Am now using Feisaty 7.04. Always the adventursome one I'm thinking about loading K over my Ubuntu. I believe I'd use synaptic to do that. Any advice. Is there a big learning curve?

Re: Should I?

Hi,

In fact, kde is quite easy to use for me but I never really was able to use gnome, don't get this desktop, too few possibilities of customisation. Anyway, to install kubuntu desktop, just install (by what ever you want, even CLI) kubuntu-desktop meta package.

And welcome to kde side of ubuntu

Comment

Well, when I use gnome I feel like having only one arm and half a brain :-) Gnome is really limited and developed for the most dummiest user... With KDE you will feel much more enabled, as long as you are willing to think while you use the computer. I did not think twice if I should go to Kubuntu.

Just as an example... Would you imagine, being able see different tree views of your file system while you explore your computer? For a Windows user this seems obvious, but the Gnome propositally does not offer this feature.

But be aware, since KDE has many many more feature that gnome, it also has proportionally more bugs.

Comment

Well then that settles it, off to KDE land. Thanks.

Comment

Using synaptic I added it on my second machine. I was expecting the blue screen to suddenly develop. I rebooted and went intop Ubuntu. Many KDE options are in the application list. Am confised...

Comment

What do you mean ? You didn't found kde in the menu "session" at login time ?

Comment

I assume you are using auto login.

Whilst you have installed KDE you still need to log into it. Boot up and go into gnome. Then logout rather than shutdown. you will see a login screen. type in your user name and password and select KDE as the "session type". Hit return and you're in.

Please also bear in mind that whilst IMHO KDE is more user friendly and versatile it is probably more bloated too so you will probably think it takes a long time to load.

Ian

Comment

Working...
              X