This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

assign a permanent UUID for swap

hello guys, i have this problem that i'm not familiar with in Linux.

i finally got to make hibernate work with enough swap (2x my memory). but only one way that is... in order for me to do this, i had to resize my windows partition to get more swap space. my initial swap size was only 256mb. now i deleted that with partition magic and created a fat32 that's about 3Gb large. then i booted on kubuntu and reformatted that space as swap.

the problem is that the original entry for swap on /etc/fstab was by getting the device by UUID and not as the path, like /dev/sda1. i tried to assign an uuid for swap manually at /dev/disk/by-uuid/, w/c is just a sym link to the device path. doesn't work. it somehow changes every restart and that sym link i made is not there anymore. if i just put the path of swap in /etc/fstab swap seems to be reinitialized and all contents are gone, thus hibernate works but only half the time. i think that if i can just have it find swap by device UUID then hibernate might work.

anyone has any idea on how to get to assign a permanent UUID for swap? do i do this by re-creating the swap partition and assign a UUID for it or what? somehow when i made the 3Gb swap there was only a LABEL option, but no UUID. i used qtparted for this. i reviewed fdisk and parted and i can't seem to find an option there that assigns a UUID to a device /partition.

Re: assign a permanent UUID for swap

zero1:

Try the advice in this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...16&postcount=3

Note that the post was written for the tools in Ubuntu, so just substitute kedit for gedit, kdesu for gksudo, etc.
    Mark<br />Kubuntu 8.04 on IBM X41T/ Pentium M LV 1.5 GHz/1GB DDR2/60GB HDD/Dual-boot with Windows XP Tablet Edition<br />Kubuntu 6.06 on Shuttle SD11G5 mini-server/ Pentium M 2 GHz/1 GB DDR2/80 GB notebook HD/500 GB SATA II HD

Comment

alright.. . my hibernate works now! woohooo!

no wonder it didn't work before. .. i missed editing that one line @ /etc/initramfs.d/resume.

thank you dude! now is there something that would prettify the hibernation process? like some splash thingy?

Comment

i tried uswsusp. it has support for a nice splash when hibernating and resuming. hibernate is ok. but it doesn't seem to resume. it stops after 100% is reached on the progress bar. also this seems to destroy the normal boot splash.

any other options out there? hibernate and resume looks real ugly. but functionality-wise they are working fine!

Comment

Working...
        X