This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation freezes at 63%

Hello all, I am trying to install Kubuntu 7.04 on my dell inspiron 1501 laptop with Phoenix BIOS version of 2.1.0, AMD Turion 64(dual core - mobile), and I get up to installing it fine but it always freezes at 63%, I've downloaded Kubuntu for i368, and for 64 bit AMDs but neither seem to work, they both stop at 63% and the system freezes.

Today I tried to install it and just left it and came back to what looks like a full screen terminal and I couldn't log on to the account I made with the installer so I presumed it was still at 63% but I don't know the open cd's default login, but now it just boots straight into windows with no boot screen or anything.

Can anyone help? Oh, also, I've had a 6.06 version of xubuntu installed on here before.

Re: Installation freezes at 63%

I'd give the -generic kernal a try before giving it up -- it may recognize and configure correctly for your dual-core CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      I'd give the -generic kernal a try before giving it up -- it may recognize and configure correctly for your dual-core CPU.
      I assume it's an additional download, if so, could you direct it to me? If not, could you explain it a little more? Thanks.

Comment

Sorry -- I guess there are limits to the virtue of being succinct, eh? :P

OK, assuming you're starting from somewhere like this:

http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php

and you choose a server like this (if you were in the U.S.):

http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/ubuntu-...ubuntu/feisty/

then you have a choice of ISO images, and I'm suggesting you try the so-called PC (Intel x86) alternate install CD image. It lets you step through the installation process and you'll be able to see where it hangs, as opposed to the live CD that kind of "automagically" installs everything, or not ....

The -generic kernel is what they are calling the "son of i386", and it has better ability to detect the many flavors of CPUs that are in the current generation of hardware.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Sorry -- I guess there are limits to the virtue of being succinct, eh? :P

OK, assuming you're starting from somewhere like this:

http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php

and you choose a server like this (if you were in the U.S.):

http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/ubuntu-...ubuntu/feisty/

then you have a choice of ISO images, and I'm suggesting you try the so-called PC (Intel x86) alternate install CD image. It lets you step through the installation process and you'll be able to see where it hangs, as opposed to the live CD that kind of "automagically" installs everything, or not ....

The -generic kernel is what they are calling the "son of i386", and it has better ability to detect the many flavors of CPUs that are in the current generation of hardware.

Good luck!
          Thanks, installed perfectly. Time to get internet working on it.

I'm probably going to move to kubuntu full, since I can access all of my windows partition on kubuntu.

Comment

I know that someone else has given you an answer to your problem and most likely better qualified than me; however, I'd like to give you my opinion to a similar issue that I encountered. After starting the installation of Kubuntu I also noticed that it hung around 75%. For some reason my instincts said to turn on my modem and check on the install in a few minutes later. Sure enough after about two minutes the install completed. Maybe it was due to having high speed connection via cable for the Internet. But any case just wanted to to share my opinion on a similar issue.

Comment

Working...
            X