This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation and black screen

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and basically new to Linux (1 month of Ubuntu on my laptop).

I decided to give KDE a whirl on my desktop computer and installed Kubuntu on one of my spare hard drives. Mostly every time I popped the CD in and I would chose the "Start or install Kubuntu" and get a loading bar till it was finish and my screen would go black and the monitor would lose signal...

I was able to get to the live cd by using F4 at the start of the CD and changing VGA to one of the other resolutions. Everything installed from live CD and I rebooted and every time right after it loads the kernel I get that same black screen and loss of signal.

I think I read somewhere that ATI's AGP cards and Kubuntu weren't getting along well... I messed around with some various command line I read up on and found that using the "Rescue mode" for a command prompt and using "startx" I can load everything up just fine... But if I reboot and don't do the rescue mode thing it still cuts out to a black screen.

Any suggestions as to why I can get this to work with the "startx" command and nothing else or just good advice on some things I could be doing better here?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Installation and black screen

More than likely it is X not configured correctly. Try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" at the command propmpt. Answer the best you can and accept defaults where you can't. 9 X out of 10 that works.

Comment

Yeap, I ran that command and tried several different config options, but nothing seemed to work. Is there a way I can capture that config file and post it here, maybe there is something I am screwing up there that someone can point out.

Thanks again!

Comment

cress, if, at the text/console prompt (after logging in) you ran
        Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        and chose "YES" to "Auto-detect?" on the first screen, that is where you're getting into trouble. Try it again, but on the first screen choose "NO" to auto-detect, and then on the second screen choose "VESA" as the display system. Then when you get to the "screen", choose carefully ONLY the resolution and refresh rates that (a) you want, and (b) your monitor is capable of. When you're finished with the script, enter
        Code:
        startx
        and I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

Comment

Is there a way I can capture that config file
          The config file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It's text file.

As said in the xorg.conf:
          # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
          # again, run the following command:
          # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
          So sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg makes nice new xorg.conf.

Topic: HOWTO : Disaster Recovery and xorg.conf
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

dibl:
            I'll give "vesa" a try, though I think I tried both it and "ati". Startx starts Kubuntu up fine, but if I restart the desktop, the screen goes blank (maybe its not keeping the config file for some reason?).

I'll give vesa a try again and see if I can make it work permanently.

Rog131:
            Thanks for the link and the code, I'll see if those can produce some results in addition to just configuring the the file.

Thank you both for the help, I hope it turns out well.

Comment

I'm having this same issue. I know it has to do with the ati card I have (X800XL). When I installed 6.10 a while back, I had similar problems, but was able to fix them by simply changing the Device Driver from "ati" to "vesa" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I upgraded to 7.04 yesterday and it all seemed to work until I rebooted. It goes to a blank screen and my CAPSLOCK and SCROLLOCK keys flash. Everything else is frozen. I can't reboot or anything. Same as you, cress, I can start from the recovery console with startx, but when I reboot, it's the same thing. I['ve also tried reconfiguring the conf file with different options, but with no success.

If you figure anything out, please let me know.

Thanks

Comment

I tried Dibl's suggestion with numerous different options, but its all the same result with me having to type "startx" at the console (which has worked regardless of choosing ATI or Vesa in the configure file).

I haven't checked further into Rog131's link yet, but I will hopefully have some time after finals this week.

Good luck with your computer Elderz!

~cress~

Comment

Working...
                X