This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I upgrade to Feisty Fawn?

Hi, I am a business user of Linux Kubuntu 6.0.1. LTS (Long Term Support). It is of vital importance that I have a very stable system, suitable for professional environments. However, since I have trouble connecting to the internet, I was wondering whether Feisty Fawn (7.04) is a better choice. Maybe this version has more up-to-date drivers for my wireless Intel IPW2100 Mini PCI card (which is supported in 6.06.1, but does not work)?

Which version of OpenOffice is included in 7.04 and is this release also available in Dutch (the Netherlands)? Furthermore, is webcam support enhanced and are more multimedia devices supported (or better supported)?

At last, how long is this release (7.04) supported? When do I need to upgrade again and how do I upgrade from 6.06.1 (I have an alternate install CD of 7.04 Feisty Fawn).

Please provide a thorough answer to my questions above. Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Should I upgrade to Feisty Fawn?

Originally posted by liberalist
    Hi, I am a business user of Linux Kubuntu 6.0.1. LTS (Long Term Support). It is of vital importance that I have a very stable system, suitable for professional environments. However, since I have trouble connecting to the internet, I was wondering whether Feisty Fawn (7.04) is a better choice. Maybe this version has more up-to-date drivers for my wireless Intel IPW2100 Mini PCI card (which is supported in 6.06.1, but does not work)?
    I hate to say it but what your requirements are pointing to is a Debian install. Stability is their hallmark. I have a 2100 and its works fine. The install process is different but not any harder. Since kubuntu is based on Debian you'll be very familiar with it. I am in the same boat, I don't want to reinstall my system every 6 months but I would also like to stay current.
    Which version of OpenOffice is included in 7.04 and is this release also available in Dutch (the Netherlands)? Furthermore, is webcam support enhanced and are more multimedia devices supported (or better supported)?
    These are all supported in Debian 4.0
    At last, how long is this release (7.04) supported? When do I need to upgrade again and how do I upgrade from 6.06.1 (I have an alternate install CD of 7.04 Feisty Fawn). Please provide a thorough answer to my questions above. Thank you very much in advance.
    This is where Debian outshines almost any other distro. Upgrading is a matter of making sure your machine is up to date, then changing the source name to the new release, and run 2 commands from a console session. That's it!! You'll never have to do a reinstall again when a new version comes out. I have been running Debian testing since 3.0 and I have never reinstalled my machine. It is current and up to date and also rock stable.

When I bought a new laptop back in May 06 I blew out my winders install and installed Kubuntu 6.06 like you. Then When I went to do an upgrade to 6.1 I had a ton of packages installed. The upgrade took place OK but there was just allot of "left overs". Well in short order things started to have problems. I saved my data and went back to my old friend Debian and have never looked back.
    If you're interested I have a complete how to for a fresh install of Debian Testing on my site. if you are concerned about getting all the software you need just run dpkg --list >somename.txt in your current setup. print that and now you'll have a complete list of all the packages on your present system. Just load them in your new install and you'll be all set. You will also be able to leave off the ones you don't need. If you have any further questions just let me know.

PDR60

Comment

Originally posted by PDR60

These are all supported in Debian 4.0
      That was such a nice and simple answer I mistook you for a software salesman :P
      I sincerely doubt Debian supports all multimedia devices, really

Comment

Originally posted by PDR60
        (...)

No, but I am a marketeer and consultant. I do like all the support I get with installing and configuring networks etc. here (people such as yourself are very nice and helpful on these forums).

Furthermore, it is indeed impossible to support ALL media devices. What I meant was if it supports many or some media devices?

Anyway, thank you very much for your descriptive answers. However, I think I'll stick to Kubuntu, since it isn't really necessary for me to stay up-to-date.

Could you perhaps help me install Kubuntu on an iMac with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (2 GHz)?
        See this thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3082673

Comment

Due to the great support here on the forums (and the ubuntuforums as well), I decided to stick to a (K)Ubuntu release. It is stable enough for me, I think. Again, thank you very much for your advice; I really appreciate all the help here on the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111

Strange you would say that considering Kubuntu is nothing but a snapshot of Debian sid...... If his hardware was supported under Kubuntu 6.06 it will be supported under Debian testing. He was also looking for a seemless upgrade. You're not going to get any better then Debin testing tothe next version of Debian testing.

Comment

Working...
            X