This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feisty boots up into shell, and I cant exit

I opened beryl, and my screen went white, then I accedently hit alt-f1 then I rebooted my system with kubuntu feisty and it boots up into tty1 and I cant get out. Ive tryed all the commands to exit to the graphical interface but I cant exit. I have a really important file on my computer, so I REALLY dont want to reinstall kubuntu. Please help

Re: feisty boots up into shell, and I cant exit

Sounds like X may be messed up
    From the terminal screen Type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Then type startx

Anything happen?

Ian

Comment

Thanks so much....it worked ^_^
      Would you mind telling me what went wrong? was it beryl?
      Id just like to know for future experiences >_<

Comment

I can't say what actually went wrong, but....

Basically the graphics are controlled by the xserver. Unless this is right, you won't be able to run any graphical applications. When you make changes, they are stored in the xorg.conf file, which is accessed on next bootup. If something has gone wrong, or for example, the resolution winds up being set outside of the range of the graphics card, x will sulk and refuse to load. The command I gave you (which someone gave me and no doubt you will at some stage give to someone else) reconfigures the xorg.conf file to a working configuration. I'm not sure how it does it though. Perhaps it restores a backup, if there is one.

Most common uses of the command are when you mess up the xorg.conf file for some reason or when you upgrade as sometimes on first run x gets it wrong. I would suggest you this is one of a small number of terminal commands that you commit to memory or paper.

By the way, xorg.conf is a simple text file for which there is almost always a backup. This applies to most other config files as well so when something goes pear-shaped, so long as you know what it is there is quite often a way back.

Hope that helps

Ian

Comment

yeah, you helped
          Thanks, once again. I guess ill visit these forums more often.

Comment

Working...
          X