This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Fedora Core 6

I would like to try Kubuntu after using FC6 with KDE for a few months. I am impressed with the advances that (K)Ubuntu seems to have made and and have had troubles getting some basic things working in FC6, like my Wacom Graphire. So I would like to know the best way to migrate my system to Kubuntu.

I have my drives partitioned as ext2, root and a separate home partition. I would like to be able to preserve all of my data and I assume that my home partition need not be affected by installing Kubuntu. So do I just install Kubuntu on the root partition? I would guess that I would need to install all of my apps again. Is there a specific procedure to insure that my home partition is used as home for a new install of Kubuntu? Any other concerns I should be aware of?

The other question is before I do all of this; shoulkd I do it?

I use my system for photo editing, video editing, music, TV, and the other usual computer uses.

System:
    Dell e521
    AMD X2 4200
    2 gig
    SATA HD
    NV 7900GS
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Re: Moving from Fedora Core 6

I changed from FC6 to Kubuntu during the easter holidays, and it went went really well. My system seems much more stable now.To install you just install Kubuntu to the root partition, as you said. And the installer requires that you format the root partition, so you need to re-install all your programs after installing Kubuntu.

As for preserving your home partition, during installation you have the option to manually set up your partitions. During that process you can also choose which partition to use for what purpose. Actually I think you choose mount points for the partitions, so just choose to mount /home on your home partition. I don't know how this would affect your system however, as user specific configuration files etc. are stored in the home dir. Someone else (or google ) can probably tell you more about this.

- Delphi

Comment

Back up your FC6 home directory to a CD before you start, just to be safe.

Comment

I haven't tried this one. If you have burn all your data (ie docs, and personal stuff) from your /home to cd or dvd then you will be able to do a clean install without worry of having user config files causing any problems. Just like the above poster stated. By all means give yourself a separate /home partition. Its much easier to work with if you want to do this again or have any problems later. You're going to like Kubuntu much better then FC.

PDR60

Comment

Working...
        X