This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

error installing automatix-nvidia driver

installing this driver usually goes well for me. I recently tried the envy install script to install the proprietary driver but I didn't like how it worked with games. So i try going back to automatix driver and get the following:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-glx-new_1.0.9755+2.6.20.5-15.20_amd64.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig', which is also in package nvidia-xconfig
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-glx-new_1.0.9755+2.6.20.5-15.20_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

thanks in advance.
    Charlie
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Re: error installing automatix-nvidia driver

Ummm, Charlie that 1.0.9755 that you're seeing IS the proprietary Nvidia driver, which is what Automatix will install. The same driver is now integrated in nvidia-glx-new in the repositories, which is why you are required to first install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`.

The other choice you have is the so-called "nv" open source driver, through the xserver-xorg configuration routine.

Personally, although I used Envy to install the driver in my Edgy system, the nvidia-glx-new package has been working fine for Feisty, for my GeF 7900GS card.

Whenever I get into trouble with my nvidia setup, I reconfigure the display back to a generic VESA display, delete all the nvidia packages I can find, and start over with the installation sequence. The details are here (about the seventh post down the thread):

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081783.0

Hope this helps ...

Comment

Re: error installing automatix-nvidia driver

try removing the package nvidia-xconfig, which is the package causing the conflict (as stated in the error message) don't know why it is included, as the nvidia-xconfig app is included as part of Ubuntu's nvidia-glx-xxx packages, (unless it is for those who install the direct-from-nvidia drivers maybe?). But usually, installing nvidia-glx- will cause the nvidia-xconfig package to be removed if installed via apt-get, Adept, or Synaptic

So uninstall the nvidia-xconfig package, and you should be able to proceed in installing the video drivers

Comment

Working...
      X