This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty is locked at 1024x768

I've been at this all morning. Last night I downloaded Feisty as soon as the Kubuntu website was back up and running. This morning I created the install CD and put Feisty on a Maxtor 60GB. My system is a Biostar with nVidia Geforce 6100 video and an AMD 64 3400 CPU running at 2.2GHz. It's got 512MB of memory.

But the CD's intro screen was a disappointing 600x800, shifted a full inch toward the left on my Advueu 17 LCD. After the install, the screen was still 600x800. I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and reset it to 1280x1024, but now all I got on screen was "out of range" from the Advueu and a shutdown. I ran xserver again and used the Medium adjustment to set xserver at 1280x1024 at 60hz. This time I got a working display . . . but at 1024x768. And this is the TOP END of the video settings in System Settings / Monitor. It can't be adjusted higher.

I tried xserver again and used the Advanced mode, where I could type in the Advueu's horiz and vert timings. But again all I got was "out of range" and a shutdown. I had to go back to the default ranges when I reconfigured.

So far, Feisty's display performance is WORSE than any other Kubuntu version, at least on my system. If I can't do something about it, I'll reinstall the Dapper. At least it's got support until '09. Maybe that'll give you guys enough time to figure out what you did wrong this time!

Re: Feisty is locked at 1024x768

I want to add something to what I said earlier.

After failing to configure the video for Feisty, I carried out my threat by installing Dapper 64 on the same drive. The video crashed the system near the end of the install (the image rips sideways across the screen in slanting horizontal lines).

I rebooted, took out Dapper, and tried my CD for Edgy 64. This time it crashed the system at the beginning of the install process.

Finally I put in the first CD I got, an Edgy 32 beta I bought through eBay. This one worked . . . though it crashed the system after I finished installing, while I was using Adept to install Firefox.

I'm building a new system using an Asus motherboard with an AMD 64 4000, running at 2.4MHz. The Asus user guide warns against trying to power the board with a PSU that produces less than 300W. They actually recommend a MUCH more muscular power supply for anyone who intends to add extra devices.

This Biostar system is in a micro ATX case with a 285 watt Allied power supply. This is probably why all versions of Kubuntu, especially the 64-bit ones, are so unstable. Linux, after all, is NEVER supposed to be unstable!

When I installed Feisty this morning it DIDN'T crash the system. Maybe that's one of the improvements that have been made. Nevertheless the display issue makes me shy away from trying to install it again.

Comment

Not a happy story, Mike. Sorry -- sometimes things seem to go that way .....

Note that this is a Forum for Kubuntu users -- if a developer happens to see your message, it will be an accident.

If you can stand any more grief, I would seriously try the 32-bit Feisty, if your AMD chip will permit that (I'm pretty AMD-ignorant) -- "32-bit" because there is little advantage to using the 64-bit OS with so few 64-bit application software available, and "Feisty" because it is far more friendly to most of the newer hardware, including USB-things, than Dapper or Edgy were. I've got an installation of Ubuntu 64-bit running on another partition on this system, but I'm gradually heading toward the conclusion that (a) it's less stable in several ways, and (b) it offers no advantages, and (c) I'm not learning to love the Gnome interface.

I built the computer that I'm using about 6 months ago, and although the Asus motherboards are attractive, I chose to go the Intel route, with Intel CPU and motherboard, and plopped a 650-watt PSU into it so I wouldn't have to wonder about it. But it appears that quite a few Kubuntu users are doing fine with Asus motherboards, so I don't know that your motherboard is a problem.

Video, on the other hand, remains a challenging proposition for a lot of Linux users who are trying to get decent performance and repeatable behavior on boot-up. I've got my stripes on that topic. But your GeF 6100 is a good choice -- I'm real surprised to hear of such trouble making it work reliably. Did you try the nvidia-glx-new packaged driver -- it has the latest Nvidia driver integrated? You need to install the linux-restricted-modules package for your kernel version first, then the nvidia-glx-new package, and that's it -- you should be good to go.

I hope you get to some better results, one way or another ....

Comment

If I may be so bold... Perhaps the issue with the crashing isn't related to the OS, but instead to the Hardware. You're running a power hungry processor and graphics card. Power makes heat. Obviously you've got a cooler, but how's your case temp? Maybe a couple 120mm fans might hook you up? Just a thought. I'm not highly knowledgeable about linux, but when you can rule out the OS (which you kinda did trying all those distros) that leaves the hardware as a likely candidate.

Here endeth my two cents worth.

Comment

Working...
        X