X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid newbie trying to install Feisty

Background:
    Too many years with MS. I've forgotten most of the DOS I knew, and Unix, well, too many years ago.
    Trying to install Feisty from the desktop CD on a brand new system (PC, 1 gig RAM, 533 FSB, two 40 gig drives, no video card or network card (yet)).
    I dumped and reformatted both drives (NTFS is all it would allow), stuck the CD in and tried to boot... got " disk boot failure, insert system disk hit enter..."
    so I'm reinstalling WIN XP to give it something to work with.
    Question: Will having Windows OS on the machine enable the desktop CD to work? (I'm getting the same error with the alternate CD version. Yes, I have the CD configured in bios as one of the boot options. Makes no diff whether it's first middle or last.I thought Feisty could be installed on a new system with no trouble?

If anyone can help this stupid newbie, I would certainly appreciate it.
    Best,
    Wayne

Re: Stupid newbie trying to install Feisty

It sounds to me like you need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS of your pc. at boot time, the cd rom doesnt require an OS to work. There are basic cdrom drivers loaded on your hardware.

Comment

Thanks, but tried that. As I said, it made no difference if it was first, second or last.
      Windows is installing just fine from the CD, so I don't think it's that.

Comment

You may have a corrupted download but you may have burnt the disk ISO at too high a speed. About 4X normally gives a good result.

Hope this helps.
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I've had this problem too using cd-rw's
          using a cd-r fixed it
          ASUS M2A-VM HDMI Motherboard<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2Dual Core Processor 5400+<br />Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2 Graphics<br />500Gb Hard Drive<br />Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 64 Bit.

Comment

Working...
          X