This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub not installed to MBR on Feisty installation

I have tried alternate and desktop ISOs, but in both cases once the installation procedure is complete when the machine reboots its as if nothing was put in the MBR by GRUB. The machine just reboots itself over and over. There is absolutely no GRUB stage messaging at all.

If I use the rescue option I can mount the drives and see the data. I am no GRUB expert, and vi is almost unusable in the rescue disk, so any real editing is virtually no good.

I have tried grub-install, same issue, I have tried the GRUB super disk, no change, in fact asking the system to boot using the super disk, it finds none of the drives in the fstab file.

For information purposes this is running on an Abit KG7-RAID mobo, with a highpoint raid controller built in. I saw all the issues around Dapper and extra controllers and never bothered to install because of those issues (stuck with Mdk 10.1 Community). Now I actually need to install a newer system (new HP printer wont play with older Linux) and apparently these issues are supposed to be fixed.

Its not some weird piece of server kit we're talking about, if (K)Ubuntu cant run with 5 year old desktop mobos, or anything with more than one IDE/SATA controller its a pretty hopeless state of affairs - Linux has a very good rep with this stuff, so how come its all broken now?

Can anyone tell me the secret to getting this stuff to work? After plodding through endless forums and posts I cant find a defacto way that works and wont require a rescue disk every time I need to update the kernel. What gives?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Re: Grub not installed to MBR on Feisty installation

51mon,

First, I'd suggest making sure you have the latest bios update for the board.

Second, I found this bit of a post that said a certain controller (HPT372) had issues of some kind with booting. Maybe there's been a firmware upgrade for the controller that could fix your issue too with the manufacturer?

http://www.futurehardware.in/78889.htm

Other than that, I can't help. My motherboard (ASUS M2N32-SLi Deluxe Wireless) has 2 RAID controllers and Kubuntu loaded fine to it.

Good luck

cheers

jck

Comment

Well, thats odd, I've so far succeeded to run Debian 3.0 & 3.1, Mdk 8.0-10.1, Suse (lots), Slackware upto 8 or 9, and deMudi on this machine. Some of which with grub, some with lilo. I've not had any issues booting from the controller as long as its set to ATA100, rather than a RAID device - never got that working in Linux!

What I dont understand is why all of a sudden it wont boot?

Has anyone else got any ideas at all?

Otherwise I'm off to download deb 4 and see if that works any better...

Comment

I've got the same problem on a dual boot machine with Windows XP it just boots straight to windows

Comment

Originally posted by 51mon
          The machine just reboots itself over and over.
          Just an idea: do /boot/grub/device.map and /boot/grub/menu.lst match up - as, for example, on my main system while the one reads (hd0) /dev/sda the other a.o. contains root=/dev/sda2 ... you get the point (?).

Comment

Working...
          X