X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compelling Reasons?

Hi All,
    I tried to update last weekend, but as before when I tried to 'update' from one version of Ubuntu to the next I failed and gave up, totally bewildered. In the end I had no option but to restore my backup image.

Anyway, I've downloaded the ISO and am toying with the idea of a new install. However, I was wondering whether there are actually any compelling reasons to do so. I mean, if 6.10 isn't broken...

Re: Compelling Reasons?

Yeah, why update. I mean, I could do word processing and email in Win95... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by surfduke
      Now you've done it. I thought about what you wrote and you're right. I actually don't use linux for anything but basic computing. My media center is XP MCE (mythTV is a myth), my video editing and ripping I do with XP....

Oh dear

Comment

The rule applies to ubuntu as well as to any other piece of software. Don't change a working system unless you know there are needed features or performance boosts.

This is especially critical when dealing with an OS that releases on a set schedule no matter how unstable or lacking it is.

Comment

I agree with vilany.
          With the same token and out of my expierience only, I can safely say that fiesty is faster (more responsive) than and more stable in details than edgy, .
          There are still a few bugs (like uuid, samba, but nothing disturbing.

Now I can use my edgy as a linux mce.

If you like xpmce then check this out:
          http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/36...owing_linuxmce

and

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Installation_Guide

Either way, it is a matter of taste
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by GUIGuy
            Originally posted by surfduke
            Now you've done it. I thought about what you wrote and you're right. I actually don't use linux for anything but basic computing. My media center is XP MCE (mythTV is a myth), my video editing and ripping I do with XP....

Oh dear
            Well, myth is a great system for doing what it is meant to do and is getting better all of the time. Personally I never do an upgrade on any OS. I always do a clean install to make sure that there isn't any junk hanging around.

I went to 7.04 because I could never get the fglrx drivers working ell with 6.1, but they worked well in 6.06. Since I had some other problems I thought I would give it a shot. That was when Feisty was still herd 3 and I haven't had any major issues. I am with the others on the don't fix it or don't upgrade it unless you need whatever additional features that the new one brings. Or, you just want to take a look at how the development is going and would like to help it if you can. That is pretty much why I tried it. Disclaimer: (in best tv announcer voice) These are my experiences with feisty, your results may vary.

Good luck either way. If you only use it for basic computing, it doesn't matter as long as you have a backup of your data. Linux for me has been a learning experience so I have been willing to try much more then I would have with windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              Yea, I had a look at that. I've written my opinions about it elsewhere. What really annoys me about it that on the home page the author states
              LinuxMCE is a free, open source add-on to Ubuntu including a 10' UI, complete whole-house media solution with pvr + distributed media, and the most advanced smarthome solution available. It is stable, easy to use, and requires no knowledge of Linux and only basic computer skills.
              This is so misleading that if LinuxMCE were commercial software the author would be sued frome here to eternity.

regards

Comment

I started with Ubuntu Warty, and upgraded, upgraded, upgraded all the way through kubuntu dapper.
                By this time my system was very cluttered and flaky.
                I did a fresh install of edgy, and it ran much much better.
                Just a thought.

Comment

Personally, I only had upgraded my Virtual Machines.

I will probably update my home machines this or the next weekend (let's give the developers some time to fix some bugs).

I'll wait for at least a month to upgrade my work machines.

I have servers running dapper and Mandriva 2006. They will stay that way until I have a real compeling reason to upgrade. Either new versions of crucial apps that are important to us, or when the OS will fade into "unsupported" (no security patches).

Javier.

Comment

Ihad problems upgrading too and decided to go for a fresh install. So far its just a mess. I would strongly advise sticking with Edgy at least for a month or towo as I don't think Feisty has been sufficiently ironed out yet. I had high hopes for Feisty, but my experience to date is that its a nightmare to install.

Comment

@guiguy:
                      This is so misleading that if LinuxMCE were commercial software the author would be sued frome here to eternity.

That is funny I'll find out over the WE. I have seen it in action at a freinds. Awsome, but that doesn't mean I am not taking it with a large grain of salt.

@wadeall: sorry to hear that. My machine is about five years old. I was considering buying a nwe one but since I don't have major problems with feisty I just bought a new HD.
                      Can you post your hardware specs? I am sure someone here can help.
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                      X