Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP: I think I overwrote my hard drive!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP: I think I overwrote my hard drive!

I'm at work, and need to make a raid driver disk for an IBM x3650 I'm installing - I download a .img file from IBM, read their instructions, and plug an external FDD into my trusty Kubuntu notebook.

The instructions tell me to use the command dd with the name of the .img file, and the switch /dev/sda (for the usb floppy).

But I think I must have typed /dev/hda.

I got home, popped the ol' notebook in the docking station and "Operating system not found."

I've booted off my 6.10 install DVD (don't have a feisty one yet, I upgraded through apt-get).

I mounted /dev/hda and it contains the contents of the raid driver disk.

I'm screwed, aren't I?

Re: HELP: I think I overwrote my hard drive!

Man...... These aren't the word you want to hear but It sure looks like you overwrote your hard drive. Sorry to see that.....

Comment

Originally posted by T113
      I mounted /dev/hda [...]
      Did you really access /dev/hda - or was it /dev/hda1 (2, 3, whatever - you get the point, I assume)

Comment

When I apparently made my booboo, I don't recall typing 'h' at all, but it definately would have been hda if I did.
        As for mounting the partition while booted off the 6.10 install disk, I definately mounted /dev/hda.

The instructions for creating the driver disk used 'sda' as an example of where to find a removeable floppy, so I tried that first (or thought I did), and nothing. Turns out the usb floppy was on /dev/sdc. I made the disk, and worked the rest of the day, including using my notebook. It even shut down normally. But when I got home, 'operating system not found'.

After sleeping on it, I'm thinking my data is still there, that I overwrote the boot partition.

I have another hard drive of the exact same model at work. If I were to install that one, install feisty, and make, using dd, an image of /dev/hda, then put 'my' hard drive back in, and use dd to write that image over the existing /dev/hda, if that would work?

Comment

If you have a live distro, like Knoppix, you will get a better idea of what's on there.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by T113

The instructions for creating the driver disk used 'sda' as an example of where to find a removeable floppy, so I tried that first (or thought I did), and nothing. Turns out the usb floppy was on /dev/sdc. I made the disk, and worked the rest of the day, including using my notebook. It even shut down normally. But when I got home, 'operating system not found'.
            Feisty rngs some sort of changem and now all hardrives are sda, sdb, etc... so you didn't type hda...

but by trying sda, you did in fact overwrite your hard drive... sorry...

Comment

I've got knoppix 3.7, 5.01 and "network security toolkit"

Alas

Knoppix 3.7 - Qparted - /dev/hda1 - type ext2 - status hidden - size 93.16GB - used space 1.02MB

Good thing I've still got my old hard drive from last year, I guess.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X