This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Upgrade Problems

Hi. I tried to do an update to Feisty Fawn using Adept Pachkage Manager and the upgrade has crashed the system. I get the inititial boot sequence nf the kubuntu progress screen. About 2/3 of the way through it crashes. It goes to text and has the following:

init:/etc/event.d/logd:11: Unknown stanza
    init:/etc/event.d/sulogin:6: Unknown status
    init:/etc/event.d/tty1:13: Unknown stanza
    init:/etc/event.d/tty2:13: Unknown stanza
    init:/etc/event.d/tty3:13: Unknown stanza
    init:/etc/event.d/tty4:13: Unknown stanza
    init:/etc/event.d/tty5:13: Unknown stanza
    init:/etc/event.d/tty6:13: Unknown stanza
    udevd[2016]: add_to_rules: PHYSDEV* values are depreciated and will be removed from a future kernal, please fix it in /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules:17
    udevd[2016]: add_to_rules: PHYSDEV* values are depreciated and will be removed from a future kernal, please fix it in /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules:45
    udevd[2016]: lookup group:specified group 'nvram' unknown
    udevd[2016]: add_to_rules: do not reference parent sysfs directories directly, that may break with a future kernel,please fif it in /etc/udev/rules.d/65-persistent-storage.rules:12
    * Activating swap...
    * Checking root file sytem...
    fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
    /dev/hda1: clean, 145079/9404416 files, 1791796/18788009 blocks

* Checking file systems...
    fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)

eventually the screen blanks

Gulp!!!

Re: Big Upgrade Problems

I am very sorry to say I can offer at this stage no help other than maybe attract a wee bit more interest to this thread by adding; I have just done almost exactly the same to my laptop, with the slight variation being my file system checks "[OK]" then the computer hangs on the next blank line, apparently while doing something (mounting?) with screen fonts and keyboard layout setups.

My question is How do I reinstall (or recover!) Edgy while not overwriting my personal data that is somewhere in my old "home" directory?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I should have mentioned all the checks are [OK] intil it hnags on the blank line as well. I am going to burn the CD and try to re-install from that. Every other thing has had no effect.

Comment

I have managed to use my old Edgy install disc as a LiveCD and then mounted my WinXP and Kubuntu partitions and have seen that the files are still all there and essentially intact. Once I can get a how-to (from the HowToForge on making the XP partition writable) completed I will copy some important data out of the Home directory & into the XP partition then be able to reinstall without stressing too much about saving the original settings. Ask if you are interested in the commands I used, but I stress, I am just learning these things as I go.

Comment

I posted a thread a few days ago with the same problem. Unfortunately I have not gotten any useful responses there either. Maybe you'll have better luck!

Comment

can you do an ctrl-alt-f1 and see a command line login?

If so, try logging in, and running the command 'startx', which will give an error message that may help out

Comment

Pressing ctrl-alt-f1 clears the screen and prints "Starting up....". Nothing further happens. Pressing it again clears the screen completely and nothing else happens.

Comment

you can move files to a usb disk when running live cd. I have done it many times. You have to edit the /etc/fstab to mount the partitions. in my case i did
                /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 (fstype) defaults 0 0

I did that for each partition. and then moved the files to my external hd. you could use a usb stick also.

If your /home is a separate partition then you could reinstall and only format the / part. make sure the mount points are set.
                Charlie
                I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

bootdoc, could you elaborate on the process. I'm still a noob.

Thanks!

Comment

Just reporting in to say I put a new clean install of Edgy(don't have a Feisty install disk) on the free space at the end of my hard drive, updated it with Adept, then Distro-upgraded also with Adept;{twice actually, as I didn't allow enough room in the new partition for a full upgrade process and had to delete the partition to start again!} then copied my data out of the original dead install's partition and just deleted everything else there.
                    A long slow sad process, but it is done now.

Comment

I also had some problem upgrading to Fiesty from Edgy. The distribution upgrade tool stalled when error occurs when installing the packages. After some searching around the forums, I found that I could use "dpkg-reconfigure -a" followed by "aptitude upgrade" to complete the installations.

I have also documented the entire upgrade process at my blog http://sonofusion82.blogspot.com/200...isty-fawn.html for sharing.

Comment

Similar problems here too. Try this before reinstalling. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...73&postcount=3

Comment

Working...
                        X